Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the complete history of this bike for the past three years. I rebuilt the carbs when I first bought it. So I know they were clean at one time.
I sold it to a friend. We went riding a few times, but his shoulders and back gave him too much grief, so he's decided to sell it. In Dec 2011, we went on a christmas toy run and immediately put the bikes to bed for the winter. Topped off the tank. Added the correct amount of stabile. Put it on the center stand and it didn't get ridden at all last year. So, effectively, it's been sitting a year and a half. THE BOWLS WERE NEVER DRAINED.
I fired it up this spring to get it ready for sale. I drained the tank, added fresh fuel and fuel filter, popped the plugs, spun it over, reinstalled the plugs and started it. It took a little to pick up on all cylinders, but I attributed that to poor fuel in the bowls. However, #2 never came up so I had to pull the rack and clean the carbs. This is what I found. Not just in #2, but all float bowls. Since I know the old fuel filter was intact, I can't blame this on Emgo.
Is this what our fuel looks like after setting?
Next fall, I'm pulling the carbs and bringing them inside for the winter.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
The green jelly I have seen before... but not the crystalization...

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Boy, you hear about it but I never saw it. I am very interested in responses to this from those who know. Nice photo's. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
the wonders of ethanol and modern fuel chemistry .
I dont think you need to bring the carb rack in for the winter . Just be sure the bowls are empty .

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
Mike, when you pull the bowl gasket out, see how much corrosion is in the o-ring groove and let me know. All the gunk in the bowl aside it seems that most of the corrosion started on the top and fell to the borrom over time. Also, I have read about Stay-Bil causing this type of stuff also! Which is why I don't use it....

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I work in the power equipment business and see this all day long weather it's in a lawn mower snow blower etc. Welcome to the wonderful world of ethanol. Even with stabilizer in the fuel it can still happen. I've seen where I will service a lawn mower in the fall and everything will be nice and clean, put the mower away for the winter, and in the spring they will look worse than what you are seeing. You must use stabilizer made for ethanol fuel and double the ratio they say. That seems to work in my part on the country

·
Banned
12,287 Posts

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I have seen far worse! It probably has nothing to do with the Ethanol Either.

Even on the old cars back before anyone ever thought of Ethanol we had basically all the same problems!

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I've had the same problems with my lawn mower the past few years. Every spring I would have to pull the carb and clean it. This past fall, I bought non ethanol gas and used sta-bil and no problems starting the mower on the third pull last week. just my .02

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Chunky!! What you see in those bowls is probably caused more by sitting during the Summer months. I've found sitting over the Winter isn't usually a problem (and we have long Winter's here in MN). A much higher proportion of sleds (sit all summer) have nasty carbs the following Winter than toys that sit Winter and are used Summer.

Really the 'key' is draining carbs. I'm involved with maintaining the State's fleet of (over) 325 small motorcycles used in MSF training courses. Draining the carbs on non FI bikes is done automatically 'cause we don't know when they might be used next. Since we've been doing that we rarely have to clean a carb...and when we do, it's not very dirty.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, the carbs are all clean and reinstalled. Set the choke, push the button, starts and dies. Repeat procedure with same results. Sounded like the spark was out of time, or the compression was blowing back into another cylinder.
I was able to baby it to operating temperature and fiddle with the sync screws. It made quite an improvement, so I turned it off to restart it cold the following day.
Starts and dies, starts and dies. Gee Golly! I'm upset.
Got the engine warm and started pulling plug wires. The two front cylinders seemed to have a weak spark and the rpm drop was nearly nil.
So I put the merc sticks on it and adjusted everything reasonably close, but the front cylinders still weren't pulling their weight.
I had an extra set of coils, so I fabricated a sub harness to put in series with the control unit. Only now, it controls the ground of the test coils. The plug wires weren't long enough to reach, so I had to fabricate two longer ones to reach the right side plugs. Then all I had to do was bypass the fuel pump relay to make it run.
Hit the key, and heard the dreaded "thud". Pulled the right side plugs, spun it over, and shot a stream of coolant 15 feet across the shop.
Gee Golly! I thought I was upset before!!
After reinstalling the plugs and running it a little, the spark seemed to be much better on the front cylinders with my test coils. Regardless, it needs head gaskets.
Why do I get the feeling this turd will never leave the shop?

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
So, the carbs are all clean and reinstalled. Set the choke, push the button, starts and dies. Repeat procedure with same results. Sounded like the spark was out of time, or the compression was blowing back into another cylinder.
I was able to baby it to operating temperature and fiddle with the sync screws. It made quite an improvement, so I turned it off to restart it cold the following day.
Starts and dies, starts and dies. Gee Golly! I'm upset.
Got the engine warm and started pulling plug wires. The two front cylinders seemed to have a weak spark and the rpm drop was nearly nil.
So I put the merc sticks on it and adjusted everything reasonably close, but the front cylinders still weren't pulling their weight.
I had an extra set of coils, so I fabricated a sub harness to put in series with the control unit. Only now, it controls the ground of the test coils. The plug wires weren't long enough to reach, so I had to fabricate two longer ones to reach the right side plugs. Then all I had to do was bypass the fuel pump relay to make it run.
Hit the key, and heard the dreaded "thud". Pulled the right side plugs, spun it over, and shot a stream of coolant 15 feet across the shop.
Gee Golly! I thought I was upset before!!
After reinstalling the plugs and running it a little, the spark seemed to be much better on the front cylinders with my test coils. Regardless, it needs head gaskets.
Why do I get the feeling this turd will never leave the shop?

Mike, did I ever mention how much I like the fuel injection on my bike??? :cool::battle: :grin: :grin:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I hydro-locked from a stuck float, pulled the plugs and shot gas all over me, the ceiling, the wall. Thought I knew everything. Thought I had a plan.

I think too much sometimes.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I feel your pain. Got an 84 V65 Magna in today. I cleaned the carbs a year ago and ran beautifully all last Summer...the guy was tickled pink. Now all of a sudden after Winter storage it's puking fuel like crazy. It's coming from the fuel feed pipes between the carbs and I'm almost positive I replaced those orings...so I'm thinkin' the plastic pipes have cracked over Winter...I know 29 years of carrying fuel makes plastic pretty delicate. Only two out of three are available from Honda anymore.

Working on old bikes stuff happens and there's almost always surprises.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike, did I ever mention how much I like the fuel injection on my bike??? :cool::battle: :grin: :grin:
Don, did I ever mention why I wouldn't own an '85? It's not the injection that I don't like.........:sick::grin::grin:
Besides Don, the last I checked, the LTD still had coils and coolant.
Love ya buddy!

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
Don, did I ever mention why I wouldn't own an '85? It's not the injection that I don't like.........:sick::grin::grin:
Besides Don, the last I checked, the LTD still had coils and coolant.
Love ya buddy!

Something about the color??? :cool: Besides... If I didn't like ya, I wouldn't pick on ya!!!! :dance: :grin: :grin:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Yep, ethanol. Ain't it wonderful?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I see you topped off the fuel after parking and then added Stabil, this means that no Stabil was in the carbs. Instead you should add Stabil and then fil up the tank, now go for a 5-10 minute ride and then top off the tank again.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
BUrn it ..

I see you topped off the fuel after parking and then added Stabil, this means that no Stabil was in the carbs. Instead you should add Stabil and then fil up the tank, now go for a 5-10 minute ride and then top off the tank again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.