Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wifes 1500 has a bad intermitant grinding noise comming from the engine. It sounds similiar to when you engage your starter and the engine is allready running. It does not effect the power, rpm, or forward motion. It occurs when the bikes is in gear moving forward and sitting still at an idle in neutral. When driving it does not occur during accelaration but does during deaccelaration.Ifirst thought it sounded like it was comming from the timming belt area and thought it might be an idler. I stripped the plastic and pulled the timming cover and everything looks Ok the belts and idlers will be changed before I put it back together however. I ran it with the cover off and could see no problems with the belt when the sound occured. I thought like the sound might becomming from the water pump. I pulled the pump and while it is a little stiff, I can see no damage to the propeller or shaft. I am thinking to put the pump back in as is. While it didn't really sound like the noise was comming from the starter that is my next best guess. The starter works fine starting the engine and in reverse.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the alternator? Possibly the rear bearing.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I had the alt rebuilt not long ago. I am pretty sure its not comming from that side but these kind of noises are hard to pin point some times. I think I am going to put the water pump back in then change the idlers and belt and see what happens

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi iam sorry for the bad news but from what you discribe you have a bent or worn 4th 5th gear shifter witch requires engine removel and to be split in two

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

So have you has it on the centre stand and run it in gear ( with help) to see what area of the engine the noise is coming from???
seems you have been from front to back with no real area of definition yet???

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The bike doesn't have to be in gear it will occur in neutral at an idle too. I have used a half a shovel handle as a stesiscope but no luck yet making sure. The bike will shift through all gears and if you were totally deaf you wouldn't know any thing was wrong.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

All the cylinders are firing like I said it runs great when this first started we were 15 miles from home. It drove home with out any problems other then the gear grinding noise every now and then.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

Intermitant grinding noise sure sounds like a bearing going bad somewhere. I hope not but thats what it sounds like. When it makes the noise do you feel any vibration change? I would guess either a water pump seizing, alternator bearing, cam bearing or possibly the starter is engaging for some reason or the bedix on the starter is throwing out and grinding on the gear. Just my guesses!

PS, Use a long screwdriver as a steh and you can get a great return and a very pinpoint location. By the way, Put the handle on your ear, not the pointy end!! LOL:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I would geta cheep stethoscope and re-probe everything.

I have used sticks and vacuum hoses, but I was really amazed with the doctors tool. The stethoscope seems to really pin point locations.

I had my bike apart and decided to prob around just because I was already there. My alternator had noise through the stethoscope that otherwise was not audible. I bought rubbers but still need to get bearings.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Most of the possibilities have been covered. I would wager that the noise is coming from something superfiscial--ie alt rear bearing, drive isolators, timing belt tensioner, water pump. The shifting fork and other parts of the tranny in 97 were beefed up so it is less likely to be that. It is quite difficult to pin point certain noises using a stethoscope. Keep at it and you will eventually get it.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

The oil doesn't have any metal in it. The filter was free of particles. I put the water pump back, the oil filter back, and put fresh oil an water in it. I used a long screw driver to narrow down on the source of the sound It seemed to me that the loudest most defined noise was heard when I put the screwdrive on the left idler bracket. So I pulled the belts and brackets. Neather bearing seemed to be tight or exceptionally loose there was a tiny bit of side motion to both so I am hoping this it the source of the problem the bike has 125,000 on it and I know the belts and idlers have never been changed.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

I know that this is not a real help,

but ... a very long time ago, when I checked my mechanic (during warranty) because I heard "a strange sound", he told me:

"As long as you hear something it's fine. The real problem starts when you hear absolutely nothing anymore."

With this I wish you a lot of luck with finding the source of the noise.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

Hi Patrick, All the ideas above are great for you to hope for but unfortunately you have very distinct and exact symptoms of the shift fork issue. Take it from one who knows. Try this... Sit on your bike idling in neutral. Hold your front brake really tight and rock your bike forward hard mashing down the front shocks. I will bet you can hear that same grinding little sound. What it is is the shift fork between 4th and 5th being worn allows the shifter toslide forward and bounce off of the 5th gear. The damage is done and you can even still ride it for a while, maybe even all season depending on how fast it gets worse. Just avoid going to 1st 2nd and 3rd when slowing down. While in 4th just coast to a stop and then put it in 1st after you stop. Don't feel too bad, its curable and now you can start the healing process. Here is a link to my webpage where I did my engine for your exact problem. Hope it helps. Since you are right up the road from me feel free to email me and we can exchange phone numbers and I can talk to you more about it. Good luck to you. http://oklahomawing.com/transmission.htm

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Hey oldshack

Would not this show in the oil ??? As he said there is NO shavings or anything in the oil ???

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Oldshack wrote:
Hi Patrick, All the ideas above are great for you to hope for but unfortunately you have very distinct and exact symptoms of the shift fork issue. Take it from one who knows. Try this... Sit on your bike idling in neutral. Hold your front brake really tight and rock your bike forward hard mashing down the front shocks. I will bet you can hear that same grinding little sound. What it is is the shift fork between 4th and 5th sliding forward and bouncing off of the 5th gear. The damage is done and you can even still ride it for a while, maybe even all season depending on how fast it gets worse. Just avoid going to 1st 2nd and 3rd when slowing down. While in 4th just coast to a stop and then put it in 1st after you stop. Don't feel too bad, its curable and now you can start the healing process. Here is a link to my webpage where I did my engine for your exact problem. Hope it helps. Since you are right up the road from me feel free to email me and we can exchange phone numbers and I can talk to you more about it. Good luck to you. http://oklahomawing.com/transmission.htm
I will try that if the sound is still there after replacing the idlers and belts. I really hope that you are wrong and that the clean oil indicates that the problem is external to the engine case. But after doing some research I admit that a lot of the symptoms do sound like that is a possiblity.

I am stopped now until the parts come in so I am off to work on my second obsession, digging a wine cellar to store my fermented fruits. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

CCSailor, the problem is a very slow occuring problem that has been going on for a long time and the metal shavings will be very minute over a long period of time. Patrick, I am not trying to be negative or a know it all but I do know this problem and symptoms inside and out. Before you waste your money on new idlers and belts do the quick and simple check I mentioned. It costs nothing. Also one more observation. Go for a ride.. I will bet you never hear that sound while you are in 4th or 5th gear. You will hear it only on decelleration in 3rd, 2nd, 1st and neutral. While deceling in one of those gears, again use your front brakes kind of hard and you will hear that sound. Let us know how it goes. Good luck to you fellow Okie.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem a number of years ago, and helped oldshack remotely with his repairs..he did a greatr job documenting the job..I was in the middle of riding season

the noise will be presentin neutral and all gears EXCEPT 4thor 5th...the culprit was the forth gear and fork..this fork engages 4th or 5th, , and since the 4th 5th gear cluster are in the front of the motor, thenoise will get worse when braking...I posted some pics as well that will give some visuals

the noise is due to the fork having worn, and allowing 5th gear to "bounce " around, attempting to engage...once this starts, it will eventually wear the fork until you cannot shift into 4th anymore..it willl pop out...

probably any metal is in the filter,

mine went from grinding to 4th gear unusable in a matter of weeks...

If your noises disapper in 5th, then I would be very confident of your issue...

if the noises NEVER stop , no matter what gear you are in and 4th NEVER pops out, then your problem is elsewhere..

I spent sometime in denial, then some time agry (just bought the bike two months earlier), then came to the realization that something had to be done

be aware that the 97 and newer motors have a much better transm ission ( from thr valkarie) that would be great donors...anything earlier, and it could put you back there...also, the parts I ordered from honda and put in were beefier and better than the original design

good luck...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.