Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has thishorse been beat'n to death yet?

I'm not in favor of NOR condoning the use of a car tire on a bike.

JUST a littleFYI to some who MIGHT HAVE missedsomething.

:?

Attachments

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Has thishorse been beat'n to death yet?

NO. I am pretty sure I saw it twitch the other day. :cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

I thought the subject was taboo.

Certainly there's nothing to be gainedby whipping the horse.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

That settles it! I'm putting E 3's on my car.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
That settles it! I'm putting E 3's on my car.
LOL!! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I don't know about you, but even in spirited riding I don't lean my bike over anywheres close to the 45 degrees shown in the picture. I installed a car tire... ran it for a week, didn't find handling bad at all. Only reason I took it off was because the rim I had it installed on was '88 or '89 and had the smaller diameter brake rotor. Once the Dunlop mc tire I currently have installed wears out, the Bridgestone Turanza is going on it. I think people make far too much of the potential safety issues involved in running a car tire. On these forums, I've yet to hear of a single instance where running a car tire was linked to an accident/incident - anyone know of a case? On the other hand, we're hearing about motorcycle tire quality control issues (blistering, delaminating, etc).

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
I don't know about you, but even in spirited riding I don't lean my bike over anywheres close to the 45 degrees shown in the picture. I installed a car tire... ran it for a week, didn't find handling bad at all. Only reason I took it off was because the rim I had it installed on was '88 or '89 and had the smaller diameter brake rotor. Once the Dunlop mc tire I currently have installed wears out, the Bridgestone Turanza is going on it. I think people make far too much of the potential safety issues involved in running a car tire. On these forums, I've yet to hear of a single instance where running a car tire was linked to an accident/incident - anyone know of a case? On the other hand, we're hearing about motorcycle tire quality control issues (blistering, delaminating, etc).
your right, lets hear from all those who actually rode on the ct and had problems. the only one saying its bad are the people that haven't ridden on one. :readit:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I just love to watch these discussions......:blackstuff::cheesygrin:

Ummm I made up my mind.....see below in my sig....

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Must work for a motorcycle tire company:ROFL::thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I challenge anyone to intall a car tire and then get it to run on the sidewall.

With the correct tire as listed, and running the right air on a Goldwing/Valkyrie it is impossible to get the sidewall onto the ground with an engine/guard rails in the bike at the same time.

Obviously it would never work for a crotch rocket, but our Goldwings work fine.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

"I've yet to hear of a single instance where running a car tire was linked to an accident/incident - anyone know of a case?"

Talk to Hawgy about his trip to NASSIR 4 and a stone that got caught between the tire and the frame due to lack of clearance.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

Perhaps one of the mods would be kind enough to move this thread out of the tech forum, to a more suitable arena.

May I suggest the Fun Forum? :action:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

why the people that dont like car tires on bikes just keep quiet and let the people who wants to use them be free to do so? its a war that will never stop.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Perhaps one of the mods would be kind enough to move this thread out of the tech forum, to a more suitable arena.

May I suggest the Fun Forum? :action:
+1:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger wrote:
"I've yet to hear of a single instance where running a car tire was linked to an accident/incident - anyone know of a case?"

Talk to Hawgy about his trip to NASSIR 4 and a stone that got caught between the tire and the frame due to lack of clearance.
Certainly I can't speak for other brand tire installations, but I didn't notice a significant decrease in clearance between the swingarm & tire. I certainly agree thatany reduction in clearance increases that jamming hazard... but doesn't that hazard exist (to a certain extent) even running motorcycle tires? I think the hazard concernsthat keep getting raised here (repetitively too!)center aroundpotential handling issues,the tire losinggrip from having been cornered onto the sidewall, blow outs, flats, that kind of thing. Waiting to hear of real world examples....

To be crystal clear, I did feel a difference and have some concerns regarding running a car tire (well, my particular car tire)- I noted that there was a noticeable difference in rear ride height (particularly noticeable with my wife on the back). I'd occasionally grunch the centerstand in corners (lower speed in the city), bottom out the belly over speedbumps, and it was certainly harder to get onto the centerstand. There are some cons for sure. I'll attach a pic so the difference in ride height is evident.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Before anyone takes offence,I am not against anyone using a car tire on their motorcycle if that is what they want to do.Use what ever kind of tire you want.

I do like to have a little fun though.

Does anyone make a snow tire that will fit? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
Goldwinger wrote:

Certainly I can't speak for other brand tire installations, but I didn't notice a significant decrease in clearance between the swingarm & tire. I certainly agree thatany reduction in clearance increases that jamming hazard... but doesn't that hazard exist (to a certain extent) even running motorcycle tires? I think the hazard concernsthat keep getting raised here (repetitively too!)center aroundpotential handling issues,the tire losinggrip from having been cornered onto the sidewall, blow outs, flats, that kind of thing. Waiting to hear of real world examples....

To be crystal clear, I did feel a difference and have some concerns regarding running a car tire (well, my particular car tire)- I noted that there was a noticeable difference in rear ride height (particularly noticeable with my wife on the back). I'd occasionally grunch the centerstand in corners (lower speed in the city), bottom out the belly over speedbumps, and it was certainly harder to get onto the centerstand. There are some cons for sure. I'll attach a pic so the difference in ride height is evident.
i can tell you for sure that there is very minutedifference between my avon mt and pirelli ct . same hight and same width, checked them with the tire calipers. and i do agree, this should be fun

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.