Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Went to a vintage bike ride and BBQ yesterday in the rain. Over 6 hours in the saddle time on the 1974 CB550 in the rain.
Just though I would share some reminders with every one. Rain, stoplights, and bikes can be SLIPPERY!!! I am approaching a green and it turns yellow, I touch the brakes and slid sideways into the intersection. Nothing I could do but twist the grip. Green, yellow, and then as I passed the centre of the intersection it was red. I'm just glad the cagers where watching, would not have been a pretty sight.
Also when riding in the rain, watch out for deep wheel tracks that are full of water. Hydroplaning on two wheels is NOT fun.
Ride safe
James

PS:
Crys and I had a blast, there was a couple of Nortons, a Ducati (spelling), a CL350, CB750, BSA, and a Royal Enfield being restored in the garage.:action:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

If one is fortunate enough to get through an incident like that without crashing, it will sure bring you back to reality won't it. One spring morning as I was on my way to work the roads were covered with condensation, and it'd been awhile since there had been a good rain. I was going down a hill, and around a slight curve, and coming to the point where I had to turn onto another street. I wasn't going fast, but evidently too fast for conditions when I just touched both brakes lightly, and lost traction on both ends. Scared the wits out of me, even more than when I'd had a wreck a few month ealier.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Scared me more because I had Crys on back. At least she didn't panic, she is really good two up.

James

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Your a lucky man. It is a good reminder.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you made it to the other side of the intersection without further mishap. "Wake-up calls" beat hospital calls hands down. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was chasing a car for a MVV. We rode Harleys at that time. Came around a turn, and hit a huge patch of sand (ah, those NE winters) and dumped it. I went sliding under a school bus, and til the day I die, I will remember the little faces looking out the windows. Fortunately, the bus was stopped, and the gear we rode in did what it was intended to do. Got up, picked up the bike, and rode off. Didn't want a busload of kids to see a grown man cry.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I don't think the outcome would have been quite so good, clarkjh, had you been in Houston, TX!! When I was there (in 1981), I had to learn quick that cross-traffic starts goin' the moment you get the yellow...(WHEW! yes...skid marks in shorts!!) :shock: :waving:

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

If it had been any other intersection I would have been creamed. Most locals know the yellow is real short on that light and seem to expect a few running the light. Also, that light usually only has traffic coming from one side of the intersection, (more like a T intersection with a light.)
James

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

i hate those little moments that spook ya. this spring I was heading to work on the bike. Just above freezing but the road was wet. I was riding beside the ocean & one strech of road about 500 yards long was pure white with heavy frost. I was cruising around 50 mph when I spotted it. Pulled in the chutch & coasted in a strait line until I hit the other side just over the center line. Couldnt get a pin up my butt with a jack hammer:shock:! Im glad that the heart stoppers are few & far between!

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

FenderHead wrote:
I don't think the outcome would have been quite so good, clarkjh, had you been in Houston, TX!! When I was there (in 1981), I had to learn quick that cross-traffic starts goin' the moment you get the yellow...(WHEW! yes...skid marks in shorts!!) :shock: :waving:
Some things never change...it's still that way in Houston! :X

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I had a similar experience way back when.. on an old triumph 250. IN the rain coming to a stoplight..brakes..the back end started to slide around on me while the front wheel keep going??? Put my feet down like training wheels, slide to a stop front wheel straigth as an arrow..me standing up and the rear wheel at an angle next to me..sat down on the curb for a while in the rain...

Oil slick roads in a light rain are dangerous

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.