1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
57,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at this.....

sigh!!!

I did NOT want to be spending money on a new laptop..... :frown2:

oops, pix disappeared, back in a second, it went to the wrong pc.

That 3rd pix is a ScrnSave from the kybd, obviously it is just the data being sent to the display,
the 1st and 2nd pix are from my camera, and is what I am seeing.

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah,

I'm not sure I want to invest any money in this laptop, it is too slow for me, I hate having to wait wait wait some more for things to happen.

I have been promised by a friend that there are two laptops coming to me that are of recent manufacture, and were supposed to be high end at the time they were bought. I will wait and if they arrive as promised, both me and Cynthia will have a new toy to play with.

her laptop is a Sony that is close to ten years old.... talk about slow, now that one is lethargic!

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
My vintage XP machine is a bit clunky on the Internet, my 7 is fine. I'm dealing with 3rd world Internet in Bellaire Ohio, one minute its there and the next minute its gone. My roommate's husband collects all types of non working computers and hasn't fixed any to make them usable. When I get my social security check I'll buy a second hand Apple, as I don't want W10.
It will be great for you to have a decent computer and one that's more up to date. The first 2 pics of the screen don't look good.
Mine may be older than yours, it has a Pentium chip.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
My I5 Intel 3.50 Ghz desktop boots up to password in 15 seconds oh yes running windows 10 does have a solid state drive. Internet 25 meg down 5 meg up, not bad in the boonies of south west Ontario, and have been promised fiber optics at 100 meg down within a year or so.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
I found a computer guy on Craigslist that rebuilds/upgrades dead units and sells them for cheap

He was getting out of PC and only doing laptops now, being more popular overall.

·
Administrator
57,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Dell decided to start working again, IF, I don't push the screen back too far.

There is a terrible bad leaf of dead pixels in the lower left corner, I once accidentally let it fall underneath my recliner, and when I sat up, it scrunched the laptop's lid..... ouch!

that was when the screen started going all wonky on me, I am really hoping that my friend out west comes through as promised with the two high end HP laptops, he said they have Win8.1 on them right now, and have never been upgraded....

so, I will make images of their hard drives as they exist when I find them, and then make a decision on whether to allow Win10 to invade them, or just install Linux Mint 18 on them and be done with it.

This Dell has a brand new hard drive in it, that I installed about a year ago when the OEM drive just bit the dust. It was at that time, only used by Mardonna, and she only used it for surfing the DIY club, so the hard drive was never taxed.....

now with her gone, it has fallen into backup status for me, when my regular laptop is unavailable, as it is now.... the power supply decided to die a hard death..... order up a new on from Hong Kong, but it has not arrived yet.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,026 Posts
I use an old Dell Latitude D630 with an Intel Core 2 Duo. It came with XP that I upgraded to Win7. I didn't like the way it ran with that. I flattened and reloaded Linux 64 bit and it works fine for internet and email. It is a little weak for graphics and video and it doesn't like memory cards over 16 GB. Linux seems to avoid the internet attacks the plague the windows world. I always have my HD desktop with lots of storage and power.

·
Administrator
57,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah,

I am finding that I no longer have any tolerance for "slow downs", it just really pisses me off when I am typing and a whole paragraph is totally blank, and then all of a sudden, it just appears like magic....

I am finding that I now type into a text editor which has instant character echo, then I just do a copy/paste to the internet forums. it is a super PITA.

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
This computer is on the Internet all the time, forums, emails and every weekend I have a new thing I watch for about 2 hours and that is recruit graduation at the U.S. Navy RTC in Great Lakes. This week 560 young men and women graduated and are doing something positive. I get tired of watching bad news.
I was playing bingo in another tab and the 3rd world internet went off and I lost 5 bingos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.