Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the bike out the other day around town for about an hour. Did 5 stops with no problem, then backing it up 40' up the hilly (10 % incline) driveway into the garage. Then turned it off to open garage door & it wudn't start again. All I can figure is reverse is electric & maybe wore the battery down, altho it says 12.15 V on the multimeter. In all fairness, the battery connections were a little loose, but obviously good enuf to drive around all summer. How can I prevent that from happening again? Just take it for a good run to charge up the battery?

Thanx

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,647 Posts
a good battery tender will fix you up just right.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
You cannot check the health of your battery with a multi-meter, it does not put a load on the battery. Most discount parts places will check a battery free of charge, regardless if it is their brand or not.

I am like AZgl1500, I think if you clean and tighten the post, put a charger on it, it will be just fine.

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
40' up a 10% slope is a lot to ask of the battery even with the engine running the alternator will not keep up with the demand.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
a good battery tender will fix you up just right.

+1 on that specific charger whether the standard or mobile unit.

Connections should always be clean and tight too:)

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
One thing to watch for: If you can't seem to be able to get the terminals tight enough, look for spacers on the terminal ends missing. Some stock batteries come with 2 little spacers that go on the battery terminal ends, and they get lost. I found mine were missing, and the terminals "looked" fine, but were always loose. I also found another bike with missing spacers, and you could see where the terminals had been arcing because they were not tight. Just a thought. jimsjinx

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Agree- That the alternator probably just could not keep up with the load. After all, all reverse is done at idle and it is maybe/just barely charging at that rpm, let alone with the load of reverse up a hill. Charge it up and you will *probably* be fine, but next time leave it running a bit before shutting down maybe? Repeated hard drains on the battery can lead to sulfation shorts and greatly reduce battery life.

I never let the battery on one of my old cars go flat or sit more than a day and it lasted over 11 years. I bought a used car and the battery was 5 at most when it went last week (who know what the PO did the first two years he had it).

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
The good news, is that you can simply push the bike out of the garage, coast down the driveway and bump start the bike.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I took the bike out the other day around town for about an hour. Did 5 stops with no problem, then backing it up 40' up the hilly (10 % incline) driveway into the garage. Then turned it off to open garage door & it wudn't start again. All I can figure is reverse is electric & maybe wore the battery down, altho it says 12.15 V on the multimeter. In all fairness, the battery connections were a little loose, but obviously good enuf to drive around all summer. How can I prevent that from happening again? Just take it for a good run to charge up the battery?

Thanx[/QUOT
I don't want to be a jerk, But did you take it out of reverse?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.