Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I thought otherGoldwing Ownersmay be interested in my communications with Castrol regarding oil for my GL1500SE

My email to Castrol :-

I have a 1993 Honda GL1500 Goldwing Motorcycle with 55,000 miles on the 6 cylinder engine. I have been using Magnatec 10-40w oil but the engine "rattles" a bit on start up. I Notice from your "which Oil to use" facility that I should use GP10-40 or GPS10-40 . I am a fairly gentle rider and more interested in protecting my investment rather that performance, I change oil & filter every 3,000 miles.

Can you please confirm which oil is best for my Motorcycle and use ?

and the reply ( I have permission from Castrol to publish this) :-

The GPS 10W-40 would be a fine choice for your Honda. In terms of viscosity it is the same as the GTX Magnatec 10W-40 but being a specific motorbike oil, it is slightly less volatile than pasenger car engine oil as bikes tend to run hotter. With a more volatile oil, the lighter fractions of oil burn off at high temperature, causing sludge and also leaving behind a heavier oil. However, I would be suprised if this was happening to the Magnatec especially given it is changed every 3000 miles, so I can't say that this will cure the rattle upon start-up.

There are two opposite issues that may be causing the rattling. Either the oil is too thick at cold temperature and so not circulating quickly upon start-up, or the oil is too thin and draining down when not in use. It's difficult to know which one is the case here, but ideally it would require a little investigation with a 15W-40 and 5W-40 oil.

Having said that, it could just be the additive pack in the Magnatec that the bike doesn't like, and the GPS may cure the problem! This would be my first suggestion before going to alternative viscosities.

I would not really recommend you use GP, it offers no advantages over GPS.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Youll find them quite honest. Honestly, its probably rattling for the same mistake many other riders make, too heavy weight an oil. Try 5 weight like they recommended. Teh best oil is the one the engine maker (Honda) recommeded because its based on internal engine clearances. Castrol doesnt know what they are, they are just makinga general recommendation. Its up to the engine engineers to choose the correct oil, not the oil manufacturer.

Too thin an oil (drain down) refers to the oil draining through the bearing clearances. Not likely in that Honda Goldwing engines have very tight bearing clearances. E.G. the factory main clearance in a GL1200 is 0.0008 which is half the clearance of a typical automobile engine. The rider thinks "whats good for the car is good for the Goldwing, uses a heavy oil and slowly destroys the crankshaft bearings. This makes the bearings starve for oil when the oil is cold because the oil, which is as thick as honey, cant pass throughthe bearings.

What they mean with "15-40" and "5-40" is that 15-40 will confirm drainback, which only ocurrs when the engine sits for long periods of time (week(s)) and "5-40" will prove out rattling due to oil too thick at startup.

Write / callthem back and tell them the main bearing clearances and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply Dave, very useful.I am no expert when it comes to oil so I reply on others to guide me. The main point I was making was the use of Magnatec and the comments from Castrol "it could just be the additive pack in the Magnatec that the bike doesn't like" .

However, I will research the subject (ie Try different Grades) amd post my findings on this Forum. Thanks again.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

They wont mess you around, if their product has a problem, theyll tell you. Just wish Honda was that honest!! Dunlop was good about this too. Castrol are about as good as it gets in the oil business.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

DC6839, your cold knocking could be oil induced, or at least oiling system induced. It could also be a lifter tic due to bleed down, or a piston pin rattle, or even a piston slap on cold start-up,, or evenair entering the oiling system during parking. It could also be as simple as your oil filter draining back while parked or the way you park your ride. Sometimes the side stand will allow a severe bike lean & that can cause initial oiling issues (try the center stand for parking as a quick test)

As your oil expert said: try a different oils with a different additive package or even a different oil type.. If you plug your oil of choice into an oil viscosity chart you can see where it lines up on the standard viscosity scale. Not all oils are the same & some tend to run to the high side of the viscosity index for the stated weight & others tend to run to the low end of the spectrum.

Noises are very hard to diagnose over the internet (they’re hard enough when standing over the engine with a stethoscope in hand)..

Maybe you could try some easy to do isolation tests to eliminate certain systems from the noise equation..

-Try cranking the engine for about 15 seconds with the handlebar emergency switch turned off before actually starting the engine.. If the noise goes away or gets better suspect an oil drain-back issue or an oil filter draining back after shut-down..

-Try listening to one cylinder at a time with a mechanics stethoscope right after start-up to identify which cylinder is the noise contributor.

-Try cranking the cold engine with the trans in gear (clutch in of course) & seeing if that changes (or eliminates) the noise (maybe you are hearing a trans gear rattle or other trans problems).

-Try the different oil weights per your oil expert.

-Make sure ALL your engine retaining bolts are tight.

Good luck & let us know if you discover anything or can effect the noise with oil viscosity or type..

JDC

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey JDC :waving:

Your most welcome to the best G/Wing forum on the net. :clapper: Just reading your five posts so far, you are providing very interesting information. :jumper:The Admin of this great site "wingnut" :weightlifter:has a system in place whereby members who provide good and useful information about Goldwings :15red::18red: :1000red: recieve the title of "Guru" it would appear by your posts that your not far from that title. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey JDC :waving:
Your most welcome to the best G/Wing forum on the net. :clapper: Just reading your five posts so far, you are providing very interesting information. :jumper:The Admin of this great site "wingnut" :weightlifter:has a system in place whereby members who provide good and useful information about Goldwings :15red::18red: :1000red: recieve the title of "Guru" it would appear by your posts that your not far from that title. :clapper:
Hey REDWING, here's another to pique your pet peeve, JDC doesn't show us where he's from. Welcome anyway JDC!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.