Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone used the services of a chemical lab to test their oil or have the analysis done? If so who did you use? I hear it only cost 20.00. But to what good does it offer knowing all the chemicals that are in the oil.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Oil analysis is a great tool for industrial use and such but for the daily consumer I do not see any real advantage. We had very stringent sampling requirements in Helicopter Engines and Gearboxes primarily as a safety of flight issue. Each Box had a specific set of limits for the various metals inside of it. If something spiked it would raise a flag and we would re-sample or flush and re-sample or remove the component from service for overhaul. It was also used to help determine service life limits on components. When you combine Oil analysis with Vibration analysis you could really determine a lot about what was going on inside dynamic parts.

Without Engineering support and established limits and a complete breakdown of the internal component composition the average "Joe" would be throwing money away in my mind.

Besides how many folks really get these bikes to the mileage point that they experience oil related component failures??

That is part of my problem with spending money for the higher end oils when cheap oil and regular oil changes results in 200,000 miles without an oil related issue??Generally these bikes are parked long before that for something silly likecarbs or charging or water pump or just a loss of interest.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Me thinks you just confirmed what I already suspected. Thanks Whiskerfish

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

In my opnion it is a good move if you are willing to spend the money to do it right.
I worked for a trucking company that for 18 years used oil analysis at regular check points-The good was that in 18 years (my truck had 2,000,000 miles when they sold out.I never had an engine failure when I was on the road.Every major repair was done B4 failure occured (the engine was never taken out of the chassis)all the repaires were in chasis overhauls.I personally used Blackstone for my own analysis on my 7.3 Ford deisel (and know others who do the same thing)that was used for over the road hauling.The advanced notice of impending problems enabled me to do a head gasket at home and not on the road at an unknown shop.This to me increased financial security and saved me a lot of money.

By the way -I was ill and didn't work for a while-$$ became scarce-I cut corners,and stopped my analysis for 1 year.I wound up In Washington, Pa. With a cracked piston &and a tow bill for truck and 30 ft trailer-loaded with 3 stops.I gave the haul to another guy he used my trailer and he got 100% of the revenue originating in Machusetts & Philidelphia,PA emptying in Texas,then back to get my truck home.I was broke and it sat for several months while I scrounged to get an engine and install it. He used my trailer too.I saved nothing being "frugel" The oil analysisProbably have caught this quicker,as I was not comfortable with the engine when I left Oklahoma that trip,something wasn't just right but I couldn't be sure if I was hearing something that was not there or was always there,whatever it was it was almost inaudible.

The chemical analysis will show how fast the oil is breaking down-and show trace elements of things like antifreze while the amounts are small enough not to do serious damage(as inmy head gasket).

The reports show metal ypes and thier amount-this will tell where the wear is ocuring.

I started with my first analysis to establish a base line by which to compare future test from.You can usually differentiate from piston,bearings,Cylinder walls scoreing wrist pins etc. For exampple if the amounts of bearing material increased (you can usually tell what type of bearing Camshaft -rods-etc)we then could watch the amount to see if it was increasing.Thus we know the repare is impending B4 it gets serious.

My Blackstone reports came with comparisions of previous reports and suggestions of where to look for problems.
Here is a sample of a transmission report.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/transmission_report_1.html

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Oldmisterbill, so that is your truck, a means of support, do you do the same with your motorcycle? I can see where if you do it regularly, you will get a good pattern developing. Although I use my bike as a driver anytime it is not raining, it is not the only means or transportation or my support means. It's beginning to look as an extra cost that could very well be viable (if your consistent everytime)on the other hand who is the analysis really directed toward. It sounds like fleet owners and owner operators more than any others. Am I looking at this wrong?:baffled:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.