Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi.. not changed oil and filter on 1986 interstate 1200 before... had thebike 1 year, total mileage 53,000 mile from new..oil and filter were changed by last owner.. i have done 1,000 mile only but the bike has been stood most of winter in garage... 5 months ... the oil looks new but i will give it a change... i have looked under bike.. i can,t see a screw filter..i can see see a metal cover is it in there there looks like some sort of nut on the end,is it metal filter or paper..also where is drain plug is there1 or 2.. on my previous bike zzr 1200 there were 2.. it would help if someone had some pictures if possible but if not any advice would be great...if you look on my last post... thud and whoosh on cold start up this is why i am changing oil and filter.... sorry guys not mechanicaly minded... regards..jim..:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Oil filter is on the front center of engine block, behind the front wheel. Look for a finned housing with a bolt in the center, The drain plug is on the bottom of the engine's right rear side, facing straight back towards the drive-shaft. You have to lie down and look up next to the exhaust. (around the drivers right-side foot-peg area) :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

right hand side front of bike. that cover you see with the nut on the end is the filter cover. Fram filter ch6009 will although many believe that fram is an inferior brand.
Unbolt this the paper element along with the spring in front will come out.

install the new o rings as you would a spin on filter. Now 7 inches behind that just about where the brake pedal is behind the exhaust there is a 17mm nut. Thgis is your oil plug. many say to drain the oil while on the center stand but I ve learned other wise. Your oil pan will not fit under the bike when its on the center stand and the oil will shoot out passed your pan.
I keep mine on the side stand wiat for most of th oil to drain then I upright it and keep it held there till i see little drip. Reinstall and pour your new oil in.

Just do us all a favor and refrain from asking WHAT OIL IS BEST.
Preform a search on oil on the forum and you will see why.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I recommend you get a Clymer manual for the 84-87 wings. All kinds of great do it yourself info in them. I keep mine in the bottom of one of the saddlebags, so I can work on the wing on the road, if needed.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

When you change the oil, make sure not to accidentally throw away the small metal washer that sits on the bottom of the spring. (#4 in the picture). It often sticks to the old filter and you don't notice that its gone until the next filter change, when youfind little bits of rubber floating around inside the filter housing. The bits happen due to the missing metal washer, the spring digs into therubber washer on the filter.

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
One very important thing to check, is the position of the filter housing when you put it back on. There are marks on it that have to line up with a mark on the engine. If you don't get the marks lines up, it will not seal, and will immediately start pumping oil out around the filter housing when you start the engine. I sure was gad I still had the pan under the filter when I found out the hard way.

Another issue is the amount of oil. I have changed the oil in mine 10 times in 10,000 miles (engine was badly neglected and dirty when I got it) and always put in an even one gallon. With the bike on the centerstand and level, that fills it right to the top of the dipstick. Some like to run their oil level at about the mid point on the dipstick, but not me. I want it all the way to the top.

I agree with the Clymer manual, if you can find one. One came with mine. I have the paper version of the Clymer, and PDF versions of the Haynes and Honda manuals. I like the Clymer the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.