Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey guys, I just bought a 1979 1000, only 28,000 miles and runs good. Problem is the oil and netural light stays on I have changed the oil sence it had been sitting for a year. the turn signal flasher dont work, and the clutch is sticking. I think i might have a strached clutch cable. I am not new to working on bikes but new to goldwings can anyone give me an idea what might be wrong. HELP

Thanks for reading

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

On the oil light, the pressure switch is on the right side of the engine under the #3 carb. Disconnect the wire (blue/red) and if the light is still on there is a short to ground somewhere. If it goes off then you need to check the oil pressure with a gauge screwed in where the switch is.
On the neutral light, There is a blue/green wire going down the right front of the engine to the neutral switch on the lower right, hard to get to the switch but if you can get it disconnected and the light goes out then the switch is stuck.
If the turn signals come on when you switch it left or right and don't flash replace the flasher. An automotive flasher can be made to work.
What does the clutch feel like, more clues are needed to give an answer.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks for your reply dave, just a funny I was born and rased in Hot springs ar. ok now the bike, I will give the ideas you had a try. I really am thankful. as far as the clutch, I just got the bike and the owner said the clutch worked fine when he stoped riding it about a year ago. He's a friend so i trust him on this one. I went to go shift the bike into gear but it just wants to grind, finaly i got itno gear 2nd or 3rd then had a hard time finding nuteral, i read some info here about how to ajust the clutch, I ajusted the clutch and tested. fired up the bike and tested it went into gear but the rear tire started moving and i still had the clutch leaver pulled back. so i ajused it some more, it went back to the same problem as before. so i justed it alittle more and tested it same thing. I came in and jumped on here and sent the post. update after letting the bike cool, i went out and worked the clutch leaver a few times and heard a pop and think the cable broke. I know long reply, could it have just been a streached cable causing the problem? thats again guys.

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

Sure could have been the cable stretching and finally breaking. They only last about 30 years.HeHe.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the clutch cable broke the clutch lever will be loose, no spring tension pulling it back out. If you bike had been sitting for a long time it may be the clutch plates were sticking together, the clutch throw out doesn't separate the plates, it just relieves the spring pressure holding them together. As for the rear wheel turning while idling in neutral on the centerstand, that's not unusual if you're referring to a slow turning wheel. It should be possible to stop it with just a slight bit of foot pressure against the tire tread.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Now I have a lot of slack in the cable, it snaped so now I will be looking for a calbe, hopefully it was the problem all along. Thanks guys this is a great with alot of good people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.