Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Nice lift. I've not had much problem with grass build up. My biggest problem is parts breaking. The light switch broke the first time I tried to use the lights. The cable the activates the mower broke after about 40 hours. The right wheel on the deck broke off after about 110 hours. The deck metal is real thin. It actually tore. It runs good, but over all, I'll buy a John Deere next time.

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
my son has a John Deere mower and will advise you highly against that.
he has spent more on repair parts for his, than it cost him when he bought it used, only a year old.

the new ones just don't hold up well.

one part of my mower's deck is a bolted on lower flat flange that is supposed to help keep the vacuum contained under the deck. it has not held up well with me hitting tree roots, it is folded back and down, catches grass bad.. it is on the discharge side of the mower deck.

I once broke the center spindle hitting a tree root, I was full speed ahead, and the center blade buried deep into a tree root and all came to a sudden stop.
it broke the spindle hub.... cost to replace was less than $30 IIRC, and it bolts on with 4 bolts to the deck. was an easy job.

all 4 of the wheel bolts just hang down, not worth a damn.... never depended on them for deck height anyway.

I once replaced the mower belt on top of the deck, the OEM belt let out a lot of smoke one time when a tree limb got lodged into it and stopped everything, the engine did not even slow down, but that belt sure got burned. didn't break it, but I ordered a new one anyway.

the worst problem has been Locust Thorns in the tires, we have been trying to cut down all of the thorn trees and burn them.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Sounds like your place puts more strain on it than mine does, but so far all I've done on roots is shave the top off. Rocks are my biggest headache. This place grows them. We've done pretty well on picking them up. Usually don't hit more than a half dozen when mowing now. Got a new neighbor next door. He was mowing for the first time the other day and was constantly hitting rocks. The renters before him didn't do him any favors. I wish I could make mine mow higher. When it's set on 4, it's mowing about where I like it. At 2, it shaves the ground. I had a used John Deere that was about 10 years old. The hydrostatic tranny was getting weak. I changed out the fluid and that helped some. I gave it to my daughter who lives on flat land. Very little of my place is flat.

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
my son has a John Deere mower and will advise you highly against that.
he has spent more on repair parts for his, than it cost him when he bought it used, only a year old.

Depends where you get it. You can go to the box stores and get a JD in name only, they aren't any better than any other cheap mower. If you go to a JD dealer you get the real thing which is much better made.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Depends where you get it. You can go to the box stores and get a JD in name only, they aren't any better than any other cheap mower. If you go to a JD dealer you get the real thing which is much better made.
Dave is correct,box stores do have JD but if you compare them to other brands you can tell they both came from the same builder,you pay more for JD that came from the real JD factory But the extra cash is worth it,the trannys are different also

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
MTD is the manufacturer I was trying to think of earlier. They make most of the lower priced mowers.

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Sounds like your place puts more strain on it than mine does, but so far all I've done on roots is shave the top off. Rocks are my biggest headache. This place grows them. We've done pretty well on picking them up. Usually don't hit more than a half dozen when mowing now. Got a new neighbor next door. He was mowing for the first time the other day and was constantly hitting rocks. The renters before him didn't do him any favors. I wish I could make mine mow higher. When it's set on 4, it's mowing about where I like it. At 2, it shaves the ground. I had a used John Deere that was about 10 years old. The hydrostatic tranny was getting weak. I changed out the fluid and that helped some. I gave it to my daughter who lives on flat land. Very little of my place is flat.

pretty much the same here, we are apparently sitting on top of a rock quarry. there are huge boulders that cover 2x2 feet, I am very careful to just mow up close to them, not over them. we have dug out a lot of rock and used it for borders around things.

the mower has 4 notches for the deck height. 3 and 4 are the only ones useable, 2 sits flat on the ground. we use 4 for the first cutting, and then 3 to cut the grass burrs down low so they don't head out. if it weren't for the grass burr grass we wouldn't have a yard. I looked at Bermuda seed, my gawd that stuff costs more than gold bullion.

I did buy some rye and other winter type grass to try and fill in under the trees where it is shady and regular grass won't grow..... we fenced that area off so the dogs can't dig it up, and the grass is finally filling in. will keep the dogs out for this year, and maybe next year they can have the front yard also. we have about 1/2 acre enclosed with 4' high cyclone fence around the house.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
pretty much the same here, we are apparently sitting on top of a rock quarry. there are huge boulders that cover 2x2 feet, I am very careful to just mow up close to them, not over them. we have dug out a lot of rock and used it for borders around things.

the mower has 4 notches for the deck height. 3 and 4 are the only ones useable, 2 sits flat on the ground. we use 4 for the first cutting, and then 3 to cut the grass burrs down low so they don't head out. if it weren't for the grass burr grass we wouldn't have a yard. I looked at Bermuda seed, my gawd that stuff costs more than gold bullion.

I did buy some rye and other winter type grass to try and fill in under the trees where it is shady and regular grass won't grow..... we fenced that area off so the dogs can't dig it up, and the grass is finally filling in. will keep the dogs out for this year, and maybe next year they can have the front yard also. we have about 1/2 acre enclosed with 4' high cyclone fence around the house.
John,I suspect Will Rogers planted those boulders as tiny stones on his way out of Oologah.😎😎😎

41 - 49 of 49 Posts