Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just changed my motor oil and filter. I have always used Mobil 1. I decided to use Chevron Delco 400 LE. Boy what a difference in shifting. Much more easy shifting and quite. Saved a lot of money too. Walmart for under $13.00. That was just a ride in the neighborhood. Tomorrow, Jan 1st plan a Polar Bear ride with friend and will update.(Expect 65 degrees for the ride.) Winter is Virginia just great.
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

:ssshh: everyone will want to try it! ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
105 Posts
imported post

I bought the Delco LE as well. I just have to wait for the dealer to open to get the filter and crush washer. They have been closed all week. I can't wait to try it.
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yup, good stuff.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,525 Posts
imported post

A Polar Bear ride in 65 degree heat? :wtf: A Polar Bear would die of heat stroke at 65 degrees.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

If you left Canada, you would love Va. We have all the seasons.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,525 Posts
imported post

I've been to Virginia and I do like it. We have all the seasons up here too: Winter and construction.:badgrin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
imported post

Brew wrote:
I bought the Delco LE as well. I just have to wait for the dealer to open to get the filter and crush washer. They have been closed all week. I can't wait to try it.
What is a crush washer?
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
Brew wrote:
I bought the Delco LE as well. I just have to wait for the dealer to open to get the filter and crush washer. They have been closed all week. I can't wait to try it.
What is a crush washer?
A crush washer is a type of 'sealing' washer, that gets crushed underneath the head of a bolt when the bolt is tightened, preventing leaks.



Brew - I used to always use OEM oil filters, but have since switched to the SuperTech ST6607 oil filter (made by Champion) at Wally World, for $2.84(?) Good results from them, for a whole lot less money and more easily/quicker obtained.



Dusty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
250 Posts
imported post

Started to notice a slight lifter tick so I changed the oil in my wing with Penzoil 10W-40. I think the clutch is slipping more after the change and the tick did not go away. Saw another post about SeaFoam and tried it and the tick went away the next day when I went riding. I have ordered the clutch from Honda but was wondering if I should be using another type of oil? Any thoughts??? Thanks
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yes your clutch is slipping from using the Penzoil, has modifiers in it to make it slipperier. Get it out of there, that is for cars.
M/Cs (most) have a wet bath clutch using the oil.
Use the Chevron Delo 400LE 15w-40, it'll give you better shifting results, quieter shifts. Walmart has it for @ $13/gal
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

Change the oil first and your clutch may not slip.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well, back from my Polar Bear breakfast ride. The bike shifted soo much better, especially from 1st to 2nd. Bike overall sounded quieter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

The 5 quart jug of Dello400 from Walmart is all I use in all my motors now.
 

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
imported post

I also have been using Delo 400. It does great but I also have used 20w-50. It did exceptional. Very quiet and smooth.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
250 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Yes your clutch is slipping from using the Penzoil, has modifiers in it to make it slipperier. Get it out of there, that is for cars.
M/Cs (most) have a wet bath clutch using the oil.
Use the Chevron Delo 400LE 15w-40, it'll give you better shifting results, quieter shifts. Walmart has it for @ $13/gal
I did change it to the Delo before I went on a 4 hour ride today. No differance but it did make the shifting smoother. I think that the clutch just needs to be replaced. It has slowly been getting worse. The owner before me pulled a trailer a lot. I think the weather is now changing enough for me to do some winter maintenance on it so it will be ready for the spring.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
71 Posts
imported post

pull atralier alot had a clutch slip put half a can sea fome put 300 miles on it change the oil to delo 400le no more slipeg i have 120.100 miles on the wing 1995aspencad trike
 

·
Active Member
Joined
·
350 Posts
imported post

Racerx wrote:
newday777 wrote:
Yes your clutch is slipping from using the Penzoil, has modifiers in it to make it slipperier. Get it out of there, that is for cars.
M/Cs (most) have a wet bath clutch using the oil.
Use the Chevron Delo 400LE 15w-40, it'll give you better shifting results, quieter shifts. Walmart has it for @ $13/gal
I did change it to the Delo before I went on a 4 hour ride today. No differance but it did make the shifting smoother. I think that the clutch just needs to be replaced. It has slowly been getting worse. The owner before me pulled a trailer a lot. I think the weather is now changing enough for me to do some winter maintenance on it so it will be ready for the spring.

Put in about 4-6 oz of sea foam , go for a 100 mile ride and change it again. if after that there is no difference..:praying: then think about a clutch..seafoam will help get all that Penzoil crap out of there....DOC
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top