Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all.......

I have search the forum but I am now very confused.

I just want to change the oil and filter on my 1991 GL1500. I used fully synthetic in my car but is it suitable for my bike with the mileage? I don't really understand these things.

Most of the replies I have seen are from our friends across the pond but I was hoping someone more UK based could help. I can get Unipart 10/40 but is it any good.

Also should I try for a genuine Honda filter or look on EBay?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

HI ,Richard,,use the basic oil you can get,with nothing in it,,its a low revving engine so thats ok,and with no additives it wont harm the clutch,get the best filter you can and your sound:waving:

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I use Semi-synthetic oil on my 96 mod 1500. Last owner used that type of oil so im using the same. The bike has 61000 miles on the clock

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

This might help with your filter decisions :?

Oil filters

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks to you all.

I found genuine Honda filter at David Silvers for £8 which I didn't think was too bad. And 4L of MOTOREX 10W/40 4-stroke semi-synthetic motorcycle oil £18.50.

Wish me luck and cheers again.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
That will work fine Richard. If this is your first time to change your Goldwings oil and filter, this how-to might help.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500oilchange.htm
Thanks I did see this but it did miss the question of type of oil to use. I wasn't sure if you could get away with car oil but know I know better. Maybe someone could amend this very helpful section with the type and a warning not to use anything but motorcycle oil.

This is the first time I have changed the oil and filter but if I can do it on my Rover 2.5 75 I can do any oil change...........If you have ever tried to find the sump plug bolt on this motor I will say no more. My mate has an oil filter strap wrench so should be easy (he says hopefully!)

Cheers all

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

r847griffin wrote:
Thanks to you all.

I found genuine Honda filter at David Silvers for £8 which I didn't think was too bad. And 4L of MOTOREX 10W/40 4-stroke semi-synthetic motorcycle oil £18.50.

Wish me luck and cheers again.
Allways use Dave Silvers for the Goldwing spares:thumbsup:,excellent fast delivery service.Got the motorex 10/40 and honda filter in mine and its running great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.