Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK there must be a trick to it, the dumb new guy has yet to figgure it out.

I did an oil change on my 85 LTD alst week. followed all of the tips just like it says, (get the oil warm, park on center stand, place drain pan under drain hole, losen drain plug, ect... must have overlooked the part where it says to put deflector in place to block the rapid exit of oil from the oil pan 'cuz it comes shooting out of the hole like Jack the Bear:cheeky1::dude::cheeky1::dude::cheeky1::dude:in a stream that went between the legs of the center stand.

I ahve seen some kits out there where you remove the original drain plug and insert one that you thread a hose onto the plug which gives you a way to direct the flow of hot engine oil with somthing other than your hand!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I'll be interested to see what you all come up with.

Have a safe and Happy New Year ,

Chuck

aka: Maddog460

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i dont take the plug with my hand i use an extension and a socket and unscrew the plug slowly when the oil starts flowing out i keep the drain bolt in place to prevent the oil flow 2 fast.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I will stay with the standard drain plug.

They do make a quick drain plugthat allows the oil to be drained when the plug is pulled. Many a/c have this installed.

But, on a wing or automobile, the plug is on the engine bottom and is pron to get hit and damaged. So, I will stay with the tried an true, and every now and then, I may get a little hot oil on my finger tips. :goofygrin:

How much does it cost for an oil change on a goldwing now-a-days? :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I believe it was JC Whitney sold a replacement drain plug that has a valve on it.

I never thought this was such a great idea, concerned the handle on the valve could turn or leak past on a long trip and loosing oil.

I use a rectangle tupperware pan (thanks wife) which works good.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I did something similar, only mine was triangular shaped.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Like Jack the Bear Eh!!:D I got quite a smile out of that one. I just use an old pan, anything that will hold the volume of oil and position it so at full flow or a drip it all goes in the pan. Just unscrew the drain plug with a wrench, then by hand unscrew it till the last thread is done and it spins around, but do not remove it, just hold it there a second, then just simply move it and your hand out of the way right quick.

Same with the filter, put the pan under it, it will always leak a bit.

Those hose things you are talking about , they come stock on some lawn equipment, they are a pain. About the third time you use them they start leaking. I always end up using stainless steel nipples and fittings and installing a regular brass pet-**** on them to make them behave.

On a bike it would not be a good thing in any event as it would simply stick down in harms way and get busted off and you would have an EPA incident at the Dairy Queen. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: Kit

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

Heck ,just hold the oil drain pan up close and get ready!!!!!!!!:D

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

Or drain it when it's cold and just give it a few minutes. People always talk about draining the oil when it's hot so it runs out good. Well think about it. Where does all the hot oil go before it cools off? To the bottom of the oil pan. So make it easy on yourself, do it cold, let it drip while you change the filter. Easy is good.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

How about a Mityvac, I've not tried it on the wing, but use it on everything else, ATV's,M-class, Avalanche and leaves about nothing when I pull the plug to flush out with fresh oil. I will try it next time on a wing to see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.