Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

thought I'd share this since it could happen to anyone. I've done hundreds of oil changes in my life and never make this mistake before yesterday.

installed new oil filter. changed the oil. started the bike (a GL1500) and blipped the throttle. A jet of oil squirted out and shot 10' across my shop and sprayed all over the cabinets.

turns out when I removed the old filter the rubber gasket remained stuck on the engine.

so .. new lesson ... check the old filter after its removed to make sure the rubber gasket came with it.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,647 Posts
imported post

Thought I was the only one who had done that :baffled:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

:waving: me too ..........

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Some of these suprise me, but not this one :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,708 Posts
imported post

Nice thing to know. Thanks for sharing.

Haven't done it yet, Now, I won't with this knowledge.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

The Big Dog wrote:
96aspencade wrote:
Some of these suprise me, but not this one :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Ya, well I had to find out for myself so I could pass on my experiences with total honesty, not bewcause I read it somewhere:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Your a good man Bob :D

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

I haven't done that one yet, but I did find the plug gasket in the old oil when I was pouring out the drain pan. I always use a clean rag or paper towel to wipe the flange clean before installing the new filter.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I have not performed this exact mistake yet but I did pour 3 qts of oil in once before replaceing the oil drain plug !!!
I just said to myself " well thats one way to flush the crankcase" !

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
imported post

When the younger engineers inquired as to why I insisted that all ideas had to be discussed with at least one other engineer before implementation, I would always tell them:

"I consider myself to be a reasonably intelligent individual. But I've been know to push......when the door was clearly marked pull".

It keeps one humble when you accept that anyone, at anytime, is capable of an "oops".

Look at the bright side - your cabinets are rust proofed for the winter! ;)

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
imported post

This is good to know especially if you use a fram filter, they are bad about that. Also lube the seal before you install the filter, it helps with removal and may keep the seal from sticking to the block.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well i cannot say ive done that before but i have forgotten to put in the oil drain plug on a semi and spaced out or something had a dumba** moment the oil pump kept pumping i was busy doing something else

i looked over and saw the black blob growing the valdeze has struck 35gallons of oil all over the floor

eh happens to the best of us

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

Oh, you haven't done it with the proper style and panache, I'd say....

Wait until you're on a cross-country trip, visiting the family of your best high school friend, in an upper crust suburb of Dallas, at their BRAND NEW house.

Make sure you park on their PRISTINE new WHITE concrete driveway, before changing the filter, and FORGETTING the O-ring...it's down in the murk of the black old oil...somewhere! I musta stuck the new one up my nose?

Oh...My.....Gawd.....it was years before I had the nerve to even call his parents on the phone, let alone visit! :blushing::doh:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Haven't done it myself, but I saw it happen once in an auto shop that I used to work at. The tech backed out of the bay and left a trail of oil out through the parking lot before he realized.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

I did this on my new car - but didn't get the oil dumped out until 700 miles later - in another state! The old gasket held that long. Now I always look!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Naw I'd never do something that stupid... but I did manage to kick over the oil drain pan a couple years ago. No point waiting for the oil to drain out on the floor, just one kick and it's there right away.:X Coulda been worse I suppose I could have stepped in the thing before kicking it over.:cooldevil:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

I changed my GL1000 oil in the backyard of our hovel/rental in Arizona, back in 1980, and some "thoughtful" housemate picked up the full oil pan that I'd carefully set aside....and put it square in the middle of the back steps to our "luxury condo" on the second floor. :shock:

Naturally, I came home with my arms full of groceries, and ironically, wearing a BRAND NEW DRESS SHIRT - the first one I'd purchased in 5 months? (College guys are not big on shopping for clothes, just in case that was in question?)

At that moment, wearing oil from head to foot, I understood the human desire to kill someone....:X I didn't of course, but...the culprit managed to understand that "we (the ROYAL 'we') are not amused". :D Frankly, I wanted to "wee" all over the stupid idjut! :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Naw I'd never do something that stupid... but I did manage to kick over the oil drain pan a couple years ago. No point waiting for the oil to drain out on the floor, just one kick and it's there right away.:X Coulda been worse I suppose I could have stepped in the thing before kicking it over.:cooldevil:
thats a good one paul......................could've stepped in it 1st..:cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.