Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been meaning to ask this for some time now and keep forgeting.

When on a long trip,how do you get the chance to change your oil? Do you try to make an appointment at a dealer 3-4,000 miles away? Or will they gladly take drive in's? ( I kinda doubt that)

Or how about a jiffy lube? Never been to one myself, just thinking here.

Would like to hear all ideas,,,,,,,,,,, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

If member was up this way and gave mea heads upthey could use my shop. I asked the local Honda dealer about small items and was told everything is by appointment.

There are some small shops around that are more accommodating for these types of things as well as emergency repairs.

If you're greeted by someone carrying a clip board andwearing a white shop coat just leave. There is a reason theycall them clip boards.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

All I can do is simply say what I do. As the Wings have a very extended recommended change interval that most of us never come close to using, I simply change oil before a trip with a good oil and not worry about it.

The 1800 has a recommended change interval of 8000 miles

The 1500 is what? 12,000 ? Not sure about that would have to look it up.

No one goes that far, but it does not hurt to run 6 or 7 thousand once in awhile.

Kit

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
All I can do is simply say what I do. As the Wings have a very extended recommended change interval that most of us never come close to using, I simply change oil before a trip with a good oil and not worry about it.

The 1800 has a recommended change interval of 8000 miles

The 1500 is what? 12,000 ? Not sure about that would have to look it up.

No one goes that far, but it does not hurt to run 6 or 7 thousand once in awhile.

Kit
This is exactly what I do also ...

Bob

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'm with Kit on this one. Knowing I'm going on a long trip, I'll change the oil the day before I leave and if I go past 3000 on the trip then I'll change it again when I get home.

So far I haven't been on a trip long enough to require it but do have one to Texas coming up in April.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I've changed my oil on my 81 GL1100 a few times while on the road. The way I do it is, get the filter and oil from the local honda dealer. Go to wally world or any other store and buy 1 gal of water, a cheap funnel (which you can keep for future changes) and a cheap $1.99 plastc wash tub. I park way out in a far corner of the parking lot and then go to it. I pour the water from jug in the near by flower bed and pour the waste oil into the empty jug clean up the tub and disgard it in the trash. I then go to the local auto center and give them the waste oil. Most garages except waste oli and most towns have a oil change center that will take it as well. Not too bad just a couple bucks more than if you changed it in your own garage.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I was hoping to get this kind of reply. Because last year I did just under 5,700 miles on my trip and wondered about changing the oil. Of course I did the change before the trip, and I always checked the oil level. Never used a drop and the color still looked good when I got home.

Thanks gang,,,,,,, I had a bad feeling that I might have neglected my best friend, but I feel better now;)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

The critical thing is, as always, that you don't run OUT of oil! Your bike is old enough that I would check it periodically- say 500 miles (if you're paranoid) or every 1000 or so (probably more than enough).

I also don't worry too much about extended road/touring miles....5000+ straight through, on a fresh oil and filter, is not going to hurt anything, so don't worry.

I know a guy (who shall remain nameless, of course) who actually dumped his oil on the ground once or twice, including one time, in Mexico. Even more horrifying than the fact he thought of himself as an "environmentalist" type (lying to himself?) was that, as soon as he was done, the local kids started playing in the puddle? :shock:

I just know about the GL1000 and GL1100, but I suspect it's about the same for the GL1500? I need a ratchet, and two sockets (one for the filter bolt, one for the drain bolt), plus an oil filter (easily carried, since they are light, and cheap if bought in advance), plus four quarts of oil, which can always be purchased locally (go to Walmart or similar...cringing that I just said that, but do it).

Incidentally, on mine, when you remove the oil fiter canister, you have a washer and a spring behind the filter; don't drop 'em into the oil, unless you relish hot fingers! LOL Also, make SURE the O-ring gasketsare intact (or replaced)...one on the oil filter bolt, and a critical one, on the outside of the oil filter housing itself. If you forget it, your bike will blow oil all over a very nice driveway of your best friend in Dallas Texas, which will NOT endear you to his parents! (Same stupid idiot as above; name withheld, to protect the guilty).

Itoccurs to me, that, from Pete's (Silverfox's) bike, the 1500 may just use aspin-on canister filter, so you'd need an appropriate filter wrench, but avoid the O-ring issue? Anyone out there, with a GL1500 to correct me? (I'm ducking...here it comes! LOL)

I think you'd find that, while the drain pan and gallon bottle is a very workable solution, if you ask nicely, you can probably find a Quick Lube/Mini-Lube/Oil Can Henry's/whatever, who would "loan" you an oil drain pan on site, and dispose of the oil for you, for a very nominal fee. They aretypically "working stiffs" themselves, and realize that it's not reasonable for you to pay $30 to have your bike oil changed.

I've found that some Honda shops are excellent about accomodating that sort of thing, and lots (more, every day) really suck at it! If you end up in Oregon, (or if we meet up, in Colorado!) please call me; I'll help you do it in 10 minutes, you needn't waste any money on it, ok? ;-)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I have done a lot of parking lot changes while on the road.... get a low-cut box from a grocery store, peel off two of your heavy garbage can liners (that you're always carrying, right?), line the box with the bags, one inside the other, dump the oil..... scoot the box, dump the filter into the box of old oil..... drag the box away, draw up the edges of the bags and tie in a knot.... carry the whole lot to the nearest dumpster and chuck! (Whoops! I forgot! I'm environmental friendly! Take the box and bags to your nearest friendly Jiffy Lube dude, and give it to him!)...

Screw in your new filter from Wally, pour in your new oil from Wally, and hit the road, Jack.... if you wanna get really fancy, pour the cheapest kitty litter you can find in the box before you dump your old oil and filter.......

I like renewing my oil and filter every 3000 - 4000 miles, and I don't apologize for it... my bucks, my choice, my bike........

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
I like renewing my oil and filter every 3000 - 4000 miles, and I don't apologize for it... my bucks, my choice, my bike........
That's why you'll last forever, Mel! :dude:Does your raven-haired beauty realize that you are going to out-live her, by say, 100 years? Is she upset about it? :cheeky1:

Btw- I'm so jealous of your new/used ST1300- I just have the "lowly" 1100, slightly battered (my fault, of course!) Mine still has enough HP to scare me....:waving:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Motorcycle Pete wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
That's why you'll last forever, Mel! :dude:Does your raven-haired beauty realize that you are going to out-live her, by say, 100 years? Is she upset about it? :cheeky1:

Btw- I'm so jealous of your new/used ST1300- I just have the "lowly" 1100, slightly battered (my fault, of course!) Mine still has enough HP to scare me....:waving:
Hi, Pete! My "raven-haired" beauty (red-haired, actually) is gonna outlive me by about 200 years. She's an aerobic animal, snowshoes the ski hill where I patrol... climbs 1000' in about 30 minutes, comes down in 11 minutes! I can't even ski down that fast! Her heart beats about twice a minute......:cheeky1:

I looked long and hard for an ST1100 in good repair, and couldn't find one..... Those that have them are keeping them. But I do like my swift, silent, and deadly 1300... better than and more addictive than cocaine! I gotta get me a radar detector, or I'll have to go back to work to pay the fines!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

I did a 8,000 mile trip to Alaska without changing my oil. I wouldn't recommend it all the time, but once or twice won't hurt anything. I did use synthetic before I left.

Burt

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

I've almost always have found the Honda dealers say pull her in and we'll get her done. I think the most I had to wait was an hour and that included doing to oil change. This was on the road, now my local dealer likes a phone call.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

I have always lucked out on longer trips.We've stayed a a few motels along the way where I was able to chat up the manager/owner and talk about motorcycles and stuff. Not only did he take the used oil off my hands but he even helped me change it.

That's why I prefer to stay at the small mom & pop motels in small towns instead of the big chains. Stayed a a motel in Nova Scotia a few years ago. A sign on the office door said "We are at the town corn roast tonight. Please go inside and take a room key. We will settle the bill in the morning". Those are the types of placesI like to stay at.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

went to Alaska in 2007, 10,000 mile round trip

started with fresh oil and changed it again when we got home

on a trip about 1983 we stopped and bought oil and filters at a dealer, they loaned un a drain pan and we changed in the parking lot, everything worked out fine but it was mostly just a waste of time, have never felt the need to change oil on the road since

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

I've done a lot of trips on an old 1979 KZ1000 and did like the other guys, just changed the oil before I left and checked it regularly throughout the trip. Did 4 5000+ miles, a 7000 and 2 10,000 mile rides that way. I always kind of worried about doing this but never had a problem.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Can't quite understand why so many of youavoid oil changes on the road? Why? I find it no more difficult than doing it in my own driveway, so what's the big issue?Tools are already on the bike.... components available at the nearest Wally....15 minute job at most.... never been hassled for doing it... matter of fact, I've always received friendly looks and compliments. We have done many changes in motel lots and camp grounds. And as for "pollution......" There is usually more old oilleakedall over the parking lot from poorly maintained cars, trucks, and whatever than the oil that ends up in my two garbage bags!

(shakes head sorrowfully......)

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Keep in mind that long trips are not as hard on the oil as short local hops. So extending the miles isn't like riding on sludge.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,705 Posts
imported post

I'm of the camp that long distance riding on a new, fresh oil change isn't going to hurt anything.

I ran my 1500 7,000 miles a couple of times and the oil didn't look like it was overly dirty.

I don't recommend it for regular maintenance, but keep the oil level full and you should be okay.

But, changing the oil in the motel lot is not all that hard either. Same tools, same parts. Me? I just look for a car parts place, buy the oil there, leave the old oil there.

:action:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

Hey- I agree with EVERYONE! :cheeky1: Am I next in line, for Silverfox's job, of forum diplomat? :dude: Never mind; he's sure to out-live me!

The critical thing (with any bike/vehicle) is....don't run out of oil! :shock: I nearly did, 31 years ago, enroute from Arizona to Daytona Beach Florida (hey...couldn't miss that Motorcycle Speed Week!) 1350 miles, in 24 hours; a feat I'm stupidly proud of, and never EVER hope to repeat! :D The honking horns (of a...holes, of course) woke me up; I got off, layed down next to the bike in a rest area (at 4am?) and was out, in something like 15 seconds....I still had my helmet on....made a nice pillow! :cooldevil:

The "idiot light" had come on, coming down a ramp in eastern Louisiana, at some ungodly hour of the morning- I revved it up (pressure! we need pressure!) and the light went out- 100 yards later, I dumped in a quart. Amazingly, there didn't seem to be long term consequences....the GL1000 was around 50K miles then, and it only died through complete stupidity (pilot error, big-time), at 135K. it would still be alive, today.......if only......!

Fresh filter and oil is always good, and yes, long trips at sustained speeds are not nearly the equivalent, of "stop-and-go" driving.

Most (but not nearly all) Honda shops will change your oil, and only waste part of a day (some won't; don't count on it, here in Medford Oregon, I'm sad to say). But I also agree with Cousin Jack...it's not that hard, an owner of a GL1000 or a GL1800 should KNOW how to do it, him or herself, and....

If you don't cotton to Mel's (Cousin Jack's) disposal method, lots of general automotive shops, and most quick oil change places, will accomodate you, for little or no money.

Buy a filter....determine the appropriate wrenches (only one or two), and bring 'em along. If you don't feel confident, show up at the Saunder's International Rally in Colorado, and I promise you that 20, possibly 50, attendees will help you out, and show you how "not a big deal" it truly is! :cooldevil:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.