Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought my 1999, 1500 Goldwing about three months ago from a 75 year old gentalman who past away about three weeks after I bought it and one day after him buying a new bike ( Died from a heart attack while riding it home). I should have asked him what kind of oil he had been useing, but thought I could ask him later. He said he had just gotten it changed. The bike had 11,000 miles on it then and Ive put a little over 3,000 on itsince. I could take it to a Honda dealer to have it changed but I would rather do it myself. I live incentrol Arkansas. Whatbrand and weight of oil would you all advise? Also what after market filters can I use?:?

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

Welcome from a fellow Arkie. Most folks here like 15w40 diesel oil and it does seem to be a good chioce and here's a link to a thread in the reference forum for aftermarket parts http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/22913.html
I personally would never use a Fram oil filter but it's your choice.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I started out using the Honda brand oil GN-4 for the first year or so, along with the OEM oil filters. I have since gone to Chevron's Delo 400 15W-40, using a Walmart brand oil filter for $3.47, SuperTech 6607. I have also used Shell's Rotella T, but the Chevron oil seems to give better shifting results and a quieter engine.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I also use the Walmart filter. Seems to be good. But I tried the diesel oil in my 1`100 and it would smoke a little at stasrt up. I went back to Valvoline 10W40 4 stroke motorcycle. No more smoke. Don't know why but it happened to my bike.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the help. On another post Ifound they said youshouldn't use a oil with MOLY in a 1500, what ever that is. And that Delco 400 has it.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

ozarks56 wrote:
Thanks for the help. On another post Ifound they said youshouldn't use a oil with MOLY in a 1500, what ever that is. And that Delco 400 has it.
We can argue this until the cows come home. I have been using Delo 400 for the better part of this year, with no ill effects, much like some of the other members. Here is a thread with a nice comparison. Bottom line, your choice.

Click here

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I believe its really a case of "trial & error". Since every bike is different and has different wear,conditions. I've sifted through many a post here about oil. Tried about 4 different ones in my 1100. I've used Honda15w40,Castrol20-w,Delo15w40,Rotella15w40, and will try probably a few more. CUrrently the only oil that gives me the smoothest shift and quieter engine in mine is Castrol Syntec 20-50 for $3.99qt.Found it in the bike section at Reilly's. It worked amazingly in mine making it quiet,smooth shifts and I havent heard a clutch slip which was something that happened about 3 times in 6 months during warm up the first mile I'd ride that day.It hasn't harmed mine one bit and runs better than ever.

Its a matter of trying out different brands and weights per conditions then sticking with it.JR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.