Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i know this is elementry but i've not yet had the fairings off on my1999GL 1500 Aspencade. I want to change the oil and filter, do I just need to take middle front fairing off?

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from South Kakalaki!:waving:

You don't have to take off any plastic to change the oil and filter, as long as you have a strap type filter wrench and not a cup type.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I can reach up inside my 96 and remove the filter. I have one of the flat style wrenches. Don't think I could get to it with the ratchet cup style.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hey there Luke & welcome from the east. The bottom center plastic is all that's needed on my SE, no snow yet ???:cheeky1::action::action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I also change filters withou removing the lower cowl plastic. Just reach up there and see if you can hand turn it. Usually I can but now and then I slip a metal strap type wrench over the end of the filter to loosen it. I always screw the new one on by hand, no need for a wrench, just be sure to oil the rubber gasket on the filter. Also it helps if you prefill the filter with oil. You won't be able to completely fill it but if you half fill it and roll it around to wet down all the filter media and then put enough oil in it to just keep it from spilling when you turn the filter horizontal it will reduce the number of times the engine has to turn over to prime it's sytem with oil. Always crank the engine with the kill switch on (if yours will) until the oil light goes out before starting. That puts less wear on the bearings which might be a bit dry. If you have to remove the plastic there's three screws, one on each side and a middle one plus the plastic cover just below the radiator which is held with a couple tabs and two rubber grommets at the top.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Ghost Rider 2 wrote:
I can reach up inside my 96 and remove the filter. I have one of the flat style wrenches. Don't think I could get to it with the ratchet cup style.
That's what I use. I don't have to remove anything to get the filter off.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

i can't believe how quickly everybody has replied...... amazing!! thankyou all and i'll get out there see if we can giterdone. yes, greetings from Canada - a bit of snow in the passes now

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61,449 Posts
imported post

Be sure and put a new washer on the drain plug bolt at the crank case.. Should change it every couple oil changes.. Keeps from getting that little drip..
50 cents at mother Honda.........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.