Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a new 1800 when should you change oil book says 8000 mile but that looks like alot of mileage on a oil change.I need to make my bike last as long as i can. thanks Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i think most will agree that 3-4 thousand mile or 3-4 months between oil an filter changes for max life of motor and transmission . just my 2.5 cents worth .

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

They say 5'000 miles for a GL 1100 oil change but I try to do it every 3,000 miles, but I had rather waste a little oil than a wing engine.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Heck I put 600 miles a week and burn a quart a week!! But thats all highway miles 70 mph plus.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

First oil change they want it back at the dealer at 600 miles, but dont go until about 1,000. Then it will cost you about 200 dollars for the first one because they check everything out. I have 7,000 miles on mine and have done 2 oil changes, Next one i am doing it and putting in amsoil. I bought it at the dealer along with filter and the washer that goes on the plug. I will also change out the rear gear oil. I understand you ought to let them do that also because if there are any metal particles in there, they can find them early before they do any damage. I am going amsoil in the rear also and change it out everytime because its only about 4 ounces. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

actually mother honda says 8000 miles between changes on the gl1100 and you know how credible honda is. myself 3000 miles is the ticket.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

KWBARB wrote:
I have a new 1800 when should you change oil book says 8000 mile but that looks like alot of mileage on a oil change.I need to make my bike last as long as i can. thanks Kevin
Well I suppose , beings you have an 1800 I will get into another oil thread. :)

The manual does require the first service at 4000 miles and an oil change at every 8000 miles thereafter. I have no comprehension of where this 600 mile oil change keeps popping up. Yamaha has this requirement, maybe it is because some bike are sold at power sport dealer and the dealers either do not know or are confused??

With a modern good quality oil, of your choice, I can see no need to change the oil at any interval before 5000 miles. I have tried all kinds of oil, sometimes I just like the color of the bottle so I will try it. Really does not seem to make much difference, as most will get a bit hard to shift, or you will notice it does not shift as smooth as it has been and that is generally around 5000 miles, and not just on a wing, but on most bikes. Seems at about that mileage the oil has lost some of its viscosity.

5000 works for me.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

funny, it doesn't matter what brand of bike people have this oil question aways pops up.If you consult the owners manual about when to change you cant go wrong.And if you really are unsure which oil to use,go to 'Bob is the oil' guys web site and read the voa's and the uoa's of the weight of oil Honda suggests for your bike.Then you can make an informed decision about what to use and when to change.Changing oil at 500 miles will flush oil any metal particles from break in, then start you milage for the next change.One thing you'll find on that site is what anti wear ingredients oils have in them, and that some cheaper oils will work as good or better then their pricer competitors.That info is from testing the products and not from word of mouth or old wives tales.,,

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Milage is important, but so is time.

My mother bought a new car in june '08. It now has 400 miles 8 months later. One might argue that she should change the oil in 7 years. I explained to her that the oil is old and contaminated. I guess she will go in April when the weather is better.

Consider 3-6 months oil changes due to contamination.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.