Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing a oil change on my 81 gl1100. What type of oil should I put in it? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,491 Posts
the kind that tastes the best :)

honestly, if you change it regularly, it don't matter.

I have a personal preference currently for Rotella T6
used T4
used Delo 15w40 in both of my 1500s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha they all kinda taste the same to me. It was 50,000 miles on it. That make a difference.

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
I would use about any 15w40 heavy duty (diesel) oil or Castrol 10w40. When it gets a couple hundred thousand miles on it maybe 20w50.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,491 Posts
I always use motorcycle specific oil.
Please explain to me, just exactly how the motorcycles engine can tell the difference between different oils?

The engine can't, but the Wet Clutches can sure be effected by Added Friction Modifiers.

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
Please explain to me, just exactly how the motorcycles engine can tell the difference between different oils?

The engine can't, but the Wet Clutches can sure be effected by Added Friction Modifiers.
I can't imagine motorcycle specific oil is anything more that regular gasoline engine oil without the friction modifiers. I tried Castrol 4T in my 1800 and it had way more gear noise so I went back to Rotella T5.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts

diesel oils do not have friction modifiers and testing over the yrs shows they are a more robust oil than motorcycle specific oils which now have low levels of zinc and phosphorus to meet new JASCO spec for cat equiped engines.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
So I'm doing a oil change on my 81 gl1100. What type of oil should I put in it? Thanks for the help guys!
I have always used Rotella T4 for conventional type oil, and T6 (blue jug) for full synthetic oil in all but one of my motorcycles. In my last GL1800, I always used Amsoil brand oil with a 15k mile Amsoil filter because that was what the original owner had used in it. I’ve never had an issue using any of it. I use the T4 in all my lawn mowers and my diesel tractor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts