Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

hi have read many opinions on frequency of oil changes.. what would be the norm on

the number of miles between oil changes with normal driving conditions?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

On our '84, I changed the dino oil (Honda GN4 10W-40) every 5,000 km / 3,000 mi. I have since switched to Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic so I expect the change interval to extend to 10,000 km / 6,000 mi. New filter everytime, of course.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

I am a believer that frequent oil changes are probably the simpliest and cheapest thing to do to keep your engine in top shape. I change mine between 3k and 4k miles. I use regular dino oil.

My '96 Ford Ranger (4.0L 6cyl.) has 199k on the odometer runs like a top and never has had any engine work done. Same with my '94 Chrysler Concorde (3.3L 6cyl) with 130k. I attribute that to the oil changes.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

Oil & filter every 3000 miles. No exceptions except...at the 100 & 200 thousand mile marks, I did an extra change to keep the math simple.:action:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,631 Posts
imported post

Dennis, you sure you didn't just run a couple of those changes 500 miles longer each? :action:

I heard you were a frugal guy :cheeky1:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Dennis, you sure you didn't just run a couple of those changes 500 miles longer each? :action:

I heard you were a frugal guy :cheeky1:
If the odometer reading is divisible by 3000...the oil gets changed. :angel:

Is it any wonder my bike loves me? :kissing:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Oil & filter every 3000 miles. No exceptions except...at the 100 & 200 thousand mile marks, I did an extra change to keep the math simple.:action:
I'm with Dennis (except for the 100,000 and 200,000 mile marks). Not quite there yet.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
imported post

Does anyone use K&N oil filters?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

every 3000 .

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I Think the real question here is, Which oil is the best?.,,Someone had to ask.lol.,,

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

3000 miles and every fall before extended storage...

(may not be a significant issue, but want to see why I do it? take your old oil in the fall.. let it sit in a pan for several months and see what settles to the bottom?? educational.. my story.. I had taken some oil samples in mason jars to be sent for anaysis.. after 6 months or so, decided that I would not.. so dumped oil but on the bottom was a layer of sooty solids that did not pour out... ).. will be glad when I can ignore this with continuous usein california:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i am a firm believer that oil is cheap and motors are expensive
i change my oil every 2500 miles
fuel filter once a year
spark plugs every 2nd oil change or 6000 miles

that may seem excessive to some people but a 20bucks on plugs i save that in fuel economy along with a clean filter every year

i dont buy premium fuel i just use the ethanol blend i get around 44mpg on the highway so works great for me

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

3500 with Shell Rotella give or take 50 miles and a new OEM filter everytime.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

i change it every 4000 kilometers and change the final drive oil too.
takes about 15 more minutes and that way im sure its in good condition

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.