Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey all,

can someone tell me where the oil dip stick is to check the oil cant find it it's for a 1983 goldwing interstate gl1100. desperately need to change the oil.

thanks

frank

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hy2long, Welcome to the best GW forum on the planet!

My friend , you don't have a "Oil Dip Stick", just a "Site Glass" (Window) at the bottom of your motor, hard to see, but it's there !

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks foro the info now maybe u can change the oil thanks.

frank

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

It's on the right side... better than a dipstick in my opinion. Make sure the bike is level on the center stand when you check it.

When adding the new oil it's easy to overfill if you're not careful. The new oil will be clear enough to look like there's nothing there, when in fact you're overfilling the crankcase.

Here's the way I do it. After adding 3 quarts (or liters), I leave the kill switch off and crank theengine for about 5-10 seconds to pump oil into the new filter. Then I slowly add that last amount of oil until it's at the proper level in the sight glass.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I just drain it real good and put in 3.4 Quarts, a hair less than 3 and a half!

There's a little wiper on your "Site glass" , if you turn it with a screw-driver back and fourth it cleans up the Window!

Put whatever 40w oil you prefer in there, I use (Mobile 1- " 5W40 SUV " Oil ) and love it!:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&sku=Goldwing+oil+Dipstick&searchbtn.x=5&searchbtn.y=5

I put one on my '83 Interstate. It's much more convenient to check the oil, especially if you have side covers. The installation is easy, andyou don't have to get down on your kneeswith a flashlight and screwdriver. I've had mine on for a year with no leaks. Nice thing about my wing is that it doesn't use any oil so I just check it every 4-500 miles. Only costs about $20 + shipping.

Hobie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.