Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I started to change the oil & filter, for my first time, and I can't seem to get the drain plug out of the engine. I started with a 3/8" rachet & a 17MM socket and that didn't work. I tried my 3/8" impact wrench and that didn't work. What am I missing? Never had this much trouble, in my 68 years on this planet, getting a drain plug out. It's not left handed threaded, is it? I did get most of the out out of the engine by leaning is way over to the RH side and letting the oil run out of the dip stick hole. Your comments and suggestions most welcome. :baffled:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

No it is definitely not a left thread. Sounds like a really over tightened drain plug..

uh... you are turning to the left(CC) to loosen it right?? Sorry, I had to ask...

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Lefty losey :action:rightie tightie

just to let you know mine was super tight my first time changing oil.

Seems the P.O. thought it needed to hold forever and some.

I would not use an impact on this as it could bugger up the threads or worse.

Just take a 3/4 box and tap with rubber mallet to loosen up.

Good luck, Ray

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

is this the first time that you have changed the oil in this bike, i mean are you a new owner of it, reason im asking is because i had an issue with my 1100 having a helicoil in it and the threads came out with the plug, im wondering if prev owner had same issue and might have glued the plug in there with something.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

durangod wrote:
is this the first time that you have changed the oil in this bike, i mean are you a new owner of it, reason im asking is because i had an issue with my 1100 having a helicoil in it and the threads came out with the plug, im wondering if prev owner had same issue and might have glued the plug in there with something.
That is scarey, makes you wonder how many times the oil was changed.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Oh Yea! I am turning CC. How much torque will that plug take without damaging the plug or worse the threads in the engine? I am the new owner of this Wing. So far everything concerning this Wing has been a first for me.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:
Lefty losey :Drightie tightie:D
I grew up wrenching on things, so it so ingrained .... it was either the correct way or the wrong way

but I bet some PO really worked over the crush washer on your plug

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
RayandTracy wrote:
Lefty losey :Drightie tightie:D
I grew up wrenching on things, so it so ingrained .... it was either the correct way or the wrong way

but I bet some PO really worked over the crush washer on your plug
I've been accused of being a bonehead in my younger years so I tended to learn the hard way and replacing things I broke finally made me stop and think, I think:shock:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I got it. It did take a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 17mm HD socket and a long extension and it finally gave way. Everything looks good soooooo far.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Aspengold wrote:
I got it. It did take a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 17mm HD socket and a long extension and it finally gave way. Everything looks good soooooo far.

Thanks for all the help!
Way to go! glad you got her off without any problems.

Ride Safe, Ray

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

actually I think my dad used to say its my way or the highway.... that was right after... I'll really give you something to cry about

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

when you reinstall the plug us a torque wrench and torque it to 27 ft/lb the oil filter bolt is 22 ft/lb that way it comes off and the threads dont get damaged

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

phatty of 2 wrote:
when you reinstall the plug us a torque wrench and torque it to 27 ft/lb the oil filter bolt is 22 ft/lb that way it comes off and the threads dont get damaged
yes it only needs to be snugged up not tight tight tight

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

And put a new washer on it, from a Honda dealer( car or bike) to be sure it is the right hardness, or softness really. A really flattened sealing washer or a too hard one or no washer at all can cause thread damage and also make it hard to break loose.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

It's going to take more than just a washer, it will need the plug as well, as I can't get the washer off the threaded part. The washer was totally smashed into the threads. I am going to pick up a new drain plug and several washers tomorrow. The oil filter bolt was just as bad. I had to put a 12mm box end wrench on that puppy and smack it multiple times with a dead blow hammer. After I had it removed I found it had no washer between the spring and filter. I fabricated a servicable washer out of a nylon washer, (toilet tank repair part)with theoutside diametera tad larger than that of the spring and bored the center hole out to fit over the center post of the filter housing. Will pick up a new washer tomorrow also. The fabricated one will hold until the next oil change. Looks as if I will need to obtain another torque wrench. Gave the others to my kids years ago. Thought that part of my life was over. I appreciate all the help, suggestions, and comments.

:bowing:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Definitely replace the crush washer. I had changed my newly acquired bike just 2 months back and the washer on it was paper thin. The Honda dealer charged me $0.89 for the washer. Well worth it. I'm actually thinking about replacing the nut with a Fumoto valve http://www.fumotousa.com/ I have one on my Honda Pilot and other cars in the family. It's the easiest way to drain the oil without a mess. I'll need to measure the thread size, though.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Almstl wrote:
Definitely replace the crush washer. I had changed my newly acquired bike just 2 months back and the washer on it was paper thin. The Honda dealer charged me $0.89 for the washer. Well worth it. I'm actually thinking about replacing the nut with a Fumoto valve http://www.fumotousa.com/ I have one on my Honda Pilot and other cars in the family. It's the easiest way to drain the oil without a mess. I'll need to measure the thread size, though.
Can't make you link work (got a few extra characters) but this gif explains it all..

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

I've dealt with the "crushed washer" syndrome before. If the plug threads aren't damaged, you can carefully hacksaw the washer enough to break it off of the plug.

I buy aluminum crush washers at the auto parts store in 5 packs. Just make sure they are 14mm.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I picked up 6 washers from my Honda dealer today for $2.50 including sales tax. He didn't have the 14mm bolt but I managed to screw off the crushed washer without damaging the threads on the bolt and put it back together with one of the new washers and without further incident. I will start it up and check for leaks Thursday. Not knowing when the oil & filter was last changed I added about 4 ounces of Sea Foam to the crankcase for the idle winter months and will change the oil early in the spring after riding a hundred miles or so. By everything I have read on Sea Foam this should clean up the inside of the engine. One problem solved...now on to the next one................should prove to be an intresting Winter. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.