Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everyone, on the very front bottom end of my 86 Interstate is the oil filter with cover. next to it is the water pump housing. Im changing the oil in this bike i got a week or so ago. Anyway in the owners manual it point to the oil drain plug under the water pump ? but you loosen it and coolant comes out. check the oil dip and the oil looks great no coolant. I would think the plug under and attached to the water pump is the coolant drain plug at least im really hopeing it is or im in big trouble. the bike runs great and no smoke of any kind. Dumb question but what am i missing here? thanks, Bryan S

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Yup..you got the wrong plug. Look just a little below that on and towards the oil filter. It also requires a bigger size wrench. I did the same thing a while back. Here are some pictures of my bike to help you out. I have a dipstick fitted to mine so it's gonna be a little different from yours but the [ics will help you with location just the same.

In the first one you will see the bolt under the water pup that you took out and got coolant. To left of that you will see a big honkin bolt on a chrome neck. That's the oil drain plug.

Now like I said your's will be diffferent because of the dipstick I have, there won't be a chrome neck on yours.

In the second veiw you can see the dipstick neck a little better and see where the drain plug is located in relation to the oil filter. Right where that chrome neck is in the pictures is where you'll find the drain plug on your wing. I think it's a 15 mm head.

Hope this is helpfull.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

its at the backof the engine on the right side

i cant manage to get the picture up to show you, maybe someone else will

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys yeah i looked all over the 1100 and 1200 must be different but i do see it now at the back of engine on the right side. thanks again guys. Bryan S

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

yes in a different place than the 1100, its near the clutch cover on the back rightof the engine, still trying to cut and paste the picture of it

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

are you nuts... the 1100 is not the same as 1200 (J/K). the oil drain plug is behind the engine. the manual shows a very unclear picture of it. heres a real pic.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I got it all done guys. Well as far as the oil change new plugs and air filter go. Thanks, Bryan

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
are you nuts... the 1100 is not the same as 1200 (J/K). the oil drain plug is behind the engine. the manual shows a very unclear picture of it. heres a real pic.

You tell em William...:cheeky1::cheeky1:

By the way. The only way I have found to pick a picture out of a PDF file is to use,"print screen". Then open up paint and paste it. then I save it as a bitmap and use Irfanview to convert to JPG...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.