Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, I guess I was victim of my own mistakes. I have evidently been tightening the drain plug too tight on the 1500 for a while (it has 80000 miles on it) and I have stripped the threads out of the block. I read messages where it said to use a heli-coil. I have done this, but I still have a slight leak. I torqued the plug to the specified torque (I can't remember if it was 21 or 27 ft-lbs that was specified). Do you think it's leaking around the heli-coil, or do you think it's the plug and washer? I'm hoping for the latter, so I'm purchasing a new bolt and washer (hopefully the dealer has them in stock tomorrow).

If this isn't my problem, can you give me any other suggestions? I may end up having to take it to a machine shop if I can't come up with anything on my own.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

If you installed the heli-coil straight, the only way it can leak is if your crush washer is bad.

BTW you don't have a crack in the case at the plug, do you?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

The seal is not made at the threads. Like John said....crush washer.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

a crack in the case can be mended by good ole JB weld a friend did it to his 1500 at the start of last season &is still going strong with no drips at all

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.