Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
09 gl1800
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever considered cutting out a portion of the front engine cover to provide easier access to the oil filter? Removing the whole thing seems like the most complex part of the process of doing your own oil changes. Surely, there's some clever way to make a removable panel that can be easily reattached after the job is done.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It would help to know what bike you are talking about. A few of the aftermarket belly pans have a removable panel for just that purpose.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,332 Posts
my 1800 has the 1st belly pan model made, forget the name.
it was a 2 piece split affair.

remove one screw and slide it sideways.

easy peasy

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,332 Posts
the oil filter can be removed by undoing the front grille work...
my advice is to forget about that, it is a PITA to do that way.

I just remove a side panel, and use an oil filter wrench to remove it from the left side of the bike,
the oil drain plug is forward of the engine, dead center.
IF there is not a Belly Pan, no issues at all.

Get a New Crush Washer, to not reuse the old washer, way too easy to strip out the threads in the oil plug hole :(
and do NOT over-tighten the oil plug. Aluminum engine blocks don't tolerate that.

Some oil filters have fluted cases, this wrench adapter makes it easy to remove the filter.

Some oil filters has a Hex nut attached to the end of the case,
this wrench works well on those

/

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
867 Posts
The 2009 should have a cutout on the lower fairing just below the oil filter, no need to remove anything.
You can use a cap type wrench on it.
Take the new filter to an auto parts store to find one that fits.

·
Pwhoever
3,413 Posts
I have an 07 with the 2 piece belly pan. Also it is a trike. Right now the floorboards are off it but when they were on, it took extreme effort to remove that lower cowl. So I wouldn't do it just for an oil change. I just remove the forward piece of belly pan and there is enough room to pull and reinstall the oil filter as well as remove and reinstall the oil drain bolt. I never had a problem doing it. I use the wrench that @AZgl1800 linked to above from Cyclemax.

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
Has anyone ever considered cutting out a portion of the front engine cover to provide easier access to the oil filter? Removing the whole thing seems like the most complex part of the process of doing your own oil changes. Surely, there's some clever way to make a removable panel that can be easily reattached after the job is done.
I have never had to remove the lower cowl to change the filter and I use a longer filter.

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
215 Posts
Never remove anything and I drain and remove the filter while on the sidestand, a little close quarters for an old guy like me but 20 min. start to finish and ready to ride.

·
Premium Member
2016 GL1800
149 Posts
I have had 4 wings up to now, the latest ‘16. I use a thin one piece filter wrench, like 1/4” thick. Works perfectly. it allows the wrench to slide just in between the lower shroud and the filter. Removed the entire thing once, ONLY ONCE!!! Good luck. I’ll see if I can locate pic of filter wrench. TJ

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
867 Posts
I have had 4 wings up to now, the latest ‘16. I use a thin one piece filter wrench, like 1/4” thick. Works perfectly. it allows the wrench to slide just in between the lower shroud and the filter. Removed the entire thing once, ONLY ONCE!!! Good luck. I’ll see if I can locate pic of filter wrench. TJ
Is this the one you're talking about? Most of the aftermarket companies have it. I've used this one but prefer the one that fits over the end of the filter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
I have owned 7 different Gold Wings, never had to remove any body parts to change oil filter on any of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts