Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I remember seeing these adapters that allow you to use car oil filters on you gl1000,1100 & 1200. Can they still be bought new?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I've seen them at JC Whitney for the 1000& 1100, but not for the 1200... Let us know if you find out anything on the 1200's. I'm interested...

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Sometime ago, there was a fellow in Quebec producing them. Seems to me they cost about $85 Cdn. I'll have a look through my notes. I thought they were well done but looked a wee bit phallic on the bike.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I've always thought the spin on adaptor was a good idea, but, I wonder if anyone has ever encountered a problem with the spin on filter being bent slightly and causing an oil leak. If you rode up over a parking curb it would be easy to bend the spin on filter housing I think, but, I could be wrong.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you hit a curb that hard, you'd probably crack the filter housing on the original setup. I've been thinking about going that route, they seem to sell for around $36.00 (plus shipping) on eBay. The only hitch for me would be how they look. Might have to paint each filter silver before using it. Sure would make changing oil a lot faster.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Don't think I'duse a chrome plated filter, they don't sound cheap. Like me!:action:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Get a can of aluminium colour spray paint (wheel steel colour for instance) and then buy a spin on filter and spray it. It will look close to the engine colour and will be cheaper than chrome filters. Also the can of spray will last for several filters.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

That's what I was thinking of doing. Ordering a half or full case of filters, and just painting them all. I am trying to find a slide on chrome cover, but all of them on the market are for the big sized filter, around 3 5/8". I need one with a 3" inside diameter. Has to fit the Fram 3387A filter, which is supposed to be a common small block Chevy truck filter.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I used to buy Fram filters until last year. A local NAPA store had two cutaway filters on display, one was the house brand and the other was a Fram. It was very impressive to see how little filter material was in the Fram compared to the NAPA. Also the internal parts that hold the thing together was much more robust in the NAPA. I'm not pushing NAPA here, I came across a website a few months ago that compared the innards of several different brands of filters that was eye opening. Take a look at this website:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I use Wix filters, which are supposed to be among the best. And reasonable too.

Reason I mentioned the 3387A size, is it is the most common filter around. Guess they have a good marketing campaign.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That's a good tip Brian. I read that article (oil filter study) that exavid referred to. Have to say it was quite a surprise. Well worth reading if you regularly use aftermarket filters or are considering it.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

Here is a spin on filter adapter I found on the net, from the GL 1000 to the GL1200 . I think its from a fellow in BC Canada . Give me next week and I think I can find more info on this item .

Zryder

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm surprised you didn't have a row of loonies for size comparison! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The one I have and the one the guy in Canada sells (there are two different guys in Canada selling these) has 8 flow thru holes, and not 4 like the one in the pic. something to think about.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

Hey Sam , Would you have the site to the other Gent in Canada . And also I would have the other four holes drilled for better flowthrough . and exavid!!! Whats with the row of loonies thing ???eh ???

Zryder

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The size comparison in the picture shows a greenback, seem a row of Canadian dollar coins (they call them loonies in B.C., no insult intended) would have been more appropriate!:goofygrin:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.