Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am getting ready for an oil change on my 85 GL1200 LTD and I would like to get away from the replacable paper cartridge oil filter and go to an adaptor to use a spin on filter. Where can I find the adaptor and any pros or cons on this idea. Also how big of a job is it to do the switch over to a spin-on?

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

I got mine from a forum member last year, he makes and sells them. His are stainless steel, very high quality. The install was easier than taking the factory filter off. I'll look for his address and get back.

Randak has them, and a fellow from Canada was selling some on e-bay. :gunhead:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
I love mine. An oil change is a near as the nearest walmart or equiv...
Walmart carries the cartridge filter for my 1100 so availabilty wouldn't be a factor I would consider regarding a spin on conversion. The convenience of just spinning off the filter would be appealing though. Then I considered the aesthetic aspect of a spin on filter. I wouldn't want an orange or blue, or even a black filter sticking out of the front of my engine.There is a very nice looking spin on motorcycle filter , the K&N, which comes in chrome. I use those on my Harley but those are $15.00. So if you want your bike to look nice and want a spin on filter, you need to spend a lot more for a filter. Do they make chrome or aluminum covers for standard oil filters so they look a little nicer? I don't want to see the name of the filter, the model number, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

I can not think of a con, I really like mine, I get the filters at Wal-Mart, they are black, so is the bike, and good filters, and only a couple bucks.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

I really like my spin on conversion. I use a Wix filter and hit it with some chrome paint, makes it look like brushed aluminum and matches the engine, looks good.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

What spin-on does this adapter take? I saw a for sale add for a GL1100 and the pic looked like it had a PH8A on it. Looked like crap to say the least sticking out there never mind the potential for the first stone you come across getting kicked up into/thru it. As far as the looks go I have seen chrome filter covers for sale.

Kevin

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

keithg64 is the forum member that sells the stainless steel version... The screw on is 3/4" (not 20mm, like 1500 and 1800)..

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

keith64 is where i got mine from over a year ago.makes it alot easer to change filter.i also have dip stick on my 1100.love it no more getting on my old knees to look at site glass.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I don't have a spin on adapter, but I think that I will get one for my GL1000. As far as the possibility of a rock penetrating the filter is concerned, I figured that I would use a Baldwin/Hastings oil filter. Besides being awesome filters, they have the thickest cans I've ever seen on a modern filter. I do think that it is definitely possible that a rock could pierce the can of your average Champion Labs filter, ie STP, Walmart, no name cheap filter.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Pete, is that filter from your bike? Was it injured from a road hazard? It sort of looks like one of my Camry filters when I have to almost destroy it to loosen it.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

sparebulb wrote:
Pete, is that filter from your bike? Was it injured from a road hazard? It sort of looks like one of my Camry filters when I have to almost destroy it to loosen it.
This picture I borrowed from another forum, it came off of an 1800.....This picturelooks really similar to the filter that a rock punctured on my 1800 with less than 5k miles on it. I was amazed just how fast that most of the oil was pumped out of the engine and onto my rear tire. It only took a few seconds from the time of impact to the time I got stopped for the oil light to come on. This is not uncommon. Many others have had the filter punctured.

The other picture is of the filter on my 1100 with 200k on it. Never a puncture with it.

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

So Pete, do you have a plating shop in your garage?? That's a lot of chrome!:shock::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
keithg64 is the forum member that sells the stainless steel version... The screw on is 3/4" (not 20mm, like 1500 and 1800)..
Thanks for baling me out Jim, I owe Keith a e-mail of thanks for the adapter and the meeting in Calhoun... :gunhead:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.