Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried the search for what is the subject and it's way too broad. It returned 500 threads, most having nothing to do with the oil filter. And this was just a search in this forum alone. An explanation is when the page returns with the search results it states it cut off everything but the word oil, hence all the unrelated garbage I don't want. I don't have time or patience to search through 500 threads so I'm going to ask here: Is it necessary to change the oil filter with every oil change? I ask because my other bike says to change every 3rd time or 12,000 miles. Knowing that a slightly dirty filter cleans better than a new one, is another reason I ask. If I ask a Honda rep, the answer is automatic yes because they want me to just spend money. So I ask here to get a REAL answer.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
You'll get different answers, I change mine every change but some folks do it every 2nd or 3rd change. I want clean oil in mine hoping to prolong stator/engine life and it cost about 5 bucks for the filter and a few extra minutes to change it plus I have enough oil because I buy the gallon jug of Delo.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
oil filters like air filters do work better at removing dirt the longer they are in service but to the detriment of less output of air or oil. Changing a filter every time the oil is changed is no really necessary but it depends on the time interval and the oil.

When I first got my 1100 8-9 years ago I could see via the oil glass that it was very dirty and no amount of turning the wiper would do any good. What I did was run new oil for 500km (300miles) then change the oil but examine the filter for solids. Rinsed out the filter with clean oil and reinstalled it then new oil and ran for another 500 km. This was done for the whole new first year season, about 5000 km worth of driving. In that time I went through 3 filters

The results were amazing, because I did not have to take the engine apart, but everything cleaned up as the oil changes were lighter and lighter.

Now with a cleaned engine the oil gets changed every 3000km with attention paid to the used oil and the filter.

Filters here in Ontario are $10 and oil 10W40, 15W40 are about $4.00/ liter.

In the 8-9 years the bike has never let me down it gets 60-65 MPG (imperial) shifting is easy and quiet. No wonder a lot of 1100 owners regret selling their older 1100. They are easy to work on!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,529 Posts
I don't mean to hijack yer thread but maybe this has a bit of bearing on the subject as it reminded me of a filter set-up one of my teachers used at the Tech school I attended back in '72. I found a link to the company, which is still producing the unit that involves a filter housing and the filter element is, (of all things), a roll of toilet paper!!

No jokes about how crappy the filter is please!!! :grin: :grin:

Here's a link to the website: http://www.frantzoil.com/home.html

Using this filter is supposed to extend the oil life by improving how well the oil is filtered. Is this BS?? I don't know but they've been in production since the early '60's so they must be doing something right!!!

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
i used a similar filter on my 75 Camaro for probably 10+ years,never had an oil related problem,but since i use an spin-on adapter now and standard auto filters which are very easy to changeout i would probably not want to use that setup again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.