Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading abot different oil people use in thier wings. I have a 85 Limited Edition with 80000 miles on it. What would really be the best oil for it. I know different people have different preferences, just looking for what is best for the fuel injected wing. Also would I be wise to run some auto fuel injector cleaner thru once in awhile. Thanks and all recomenditions appreciated.:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Oil is whatever works for you.

I run sea foam in mine a couple of times per riding season, about 1/4 can per tank of gas to keep the injectors clean. Also add TWC 2 stroke oil, 1 oz to a tank of gas to help lubricate the top end, I noticed a big difference in smoothness and mpg.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
MANY opinions on oil- just search it.
Any oil that is not marked 'energy conserving' should be fine. I would have to say the majority of folks on this site will recommend the Delo/delvac route I think- that is the road I travel.
The oil does not care if you are injected or carb'd.
I agree with using a bit of sea foam occasionally. I run it strong once a year, about 1/2 can in the tank and let it idle for 15-30 minutes to clean the idle circuits, then some good hard riding for a bit. Almost 98k and counting without a glitch.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
I have a very similar Wing. After running Rotella T6 for a year I thought I'd try Amsoil. Ran 3-4 ounces of Seafoam in the crankcase for about 100 miles before the oil/filter change and the Rotella changed from clear to pitch black and thicker, indicating a lot of sludge removal.

I'm extremely pleased with the Amsoil. Not only is the engine running sweetly but the shifting is excellent, a nice clean "click" up and down, not the crunchiness I experienced before. I don't sell the stuff, but recommend trying it.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Hum, I tried Amsoil and noticed no difference other than the weight of my wallet.:?

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Hum, I tried Amsoil and noticed no difference other than the weight of my wallet.:?
I used it once, too. But, I do have to admit it saved my Mustang motor once. However, I will not make that mistake again so the Amsoil, for me, is way overkill since I want fresh oil 2 or 3 or 4 times a year anyway, whether it needs it or not, and I am probably still spending less.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I use 20w50 Walmart car oil in mine, and change it often. Adding a little 2 stroke oil to the gas is not a bad idea. I have been doing that with my vintage cars which were not designed for unleaded gas for many years. And now with ethanol in the gas, it probably helps even more. IMO anyway, ethanol is hard on the valves, and tends to wash oil off the cylinder walls. And since it is in the gas, it also has to be in combustion gases, and with a worn engine, will find it's way past the rings and into the crankcase, where it will contaminate the engine oil faster.

I also highly recommend Seafoam. Strangely enough, I use it in all my bikes except the LTD. All the others have carbs, and the carb jets will plug up in just a couple of weeks of non use with ethanol gas, because it evaporates faster. It also tends to corrode aluminum and brass parts. So far I have not had a problem with the injectors. They operate under pressure, and that pressure seems to help keep them clean. It has sit for 2 months without being started, and fired right up. Around here, a carbed bike would be plugged up solid in 2 months, and would require a carb removal and cleaning. But it certainly won't hurt anything to use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.