Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im new here.

Just picked up an 89 GL1500 I was told by a mechanic not to use any other oil other than the honda oil. He said the engine has some spec that only that oil has.

Im a big fan of AMSOil and of course want to use that. Im just wondering if anyone has some insight into this?

Thank you very much,
mike

·
Administrator
57,489 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahah nice, thank you,,

i guess its because as soon as you get a new (used) bike or car for that matter,, one of the first orders of business is the make sure you got fresh oil in there.

I got the amsoil metric 10w40,, its specially made for wet cluch applications. so im assuming it is ok.

thank you very much,
mike

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Maybe no one uses search, or scrolls thru thread titles - They are asking a brand new never thought of before....!!

Honda 10-40 `Red Cap` as the parts dept calls it,,, for its red cap.
Amzoil is fine,
I would do an engine oil flush with seafoam added to the oil, ride an hour or 2, change oil and filter.
Do that before installing the high dollar oil

The key is to look at the small circle on corner of bottles label- if it contains any letters or markings- those indicate Energy Saving or Friction Modifiers in the oil and are NOT for us!
Empty circle mean nothing bad as far as we care = use it!

something for noobs: Rear Gear oil should be changed once a year- or with every- other engine oil change.
Only takes 4.7 oz of 80w HYPOID gear oil for the 1500. Get a qt bottle and do it a few times now to flush.

Do the brake and clutch hydraulic flush too, read the diy on brakes- interlinked system changes bleeding order
DOT4 spec fluid for both, 1 qt does it all- easily

Honda premixed car coolant is ok to use- that's a replace now- and every 2 years item, takes 1 gallon $10

Welcome to the Forum! another Canuk joins us!!

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Whenever an expert (a mechanic in this case) makes a statement like that (Use ONLY Honda oil)...his over all expertise becomes suspect in my view. Maybe that's unfair(?)

Quite a number of oil brands will work well in the 'Wing. In fact, I'd be willing to bet the least expensive house brands would take an engine to the same end of life mileage as the most expensive brands.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
I use DELO 400 $13.25 from Walmart my bike runs better on it then it ever did on the Honda oil. Go to Cyclemax.com and buy the filters I usually buy 3 or 4 at a time because the shipping is the same as 1.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Seems like I was reading about some guy who had better than 400,000 miles on a 1500, and all he used was diesel oil from a farm supply store. I use the Delo 400 also. Save the money over Amsoil. Runs great at 188K
gumbyred

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
Synthetic if you want it, but basic oil (many use DELO or other 'diesel' oil) does a fantastic job for far less money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.