Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm not happy to be leaking, it's not a lot, just dribbles here and there . . . enough to be embarrassing and enough to put rag to floor in the garage. It is coming from the rear engine case, I'm beginning to narrow down the location, kind of hard to get under there. Any cure-alls that don't require taking the case off?

Chuck

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Go to one of your local auto supply stores & pick up a mirror on a swivel with about an 18" extension. You just bend the swivel at the right angle, slide it under the bike and lets you see everything much easier. They are fairly cheap & once you have one you'll discover all kinds of uses.

Makes life much easier.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

I used to be in a hard spot, you know the situation, in between good jobs... Forced to run very old clunkers that leaked oil.

I found that adding seal softeners would tend to make the leaks less prominent. Valvolene now has an oil labeled "for old engines", I used it with good success in my junker car and pickup. Slowed down the leaks. Did not stop the leaks, just slowed them down.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I used to be in a hard spot, you know the situation, in between good jobs... Forced to run very old clunkers that leaked oil.

I found that adding seal softeners would tend to make the leaks less prominent. Valvolene now has an oil labeled "for old engines", I used it with good success in my junker car and pickup. Slowed down the leaks. Did not stop the leaks, just slowed them down.
I run that Valvoline in my old pick-em up truck.

Any benefit to re torquing, using a torque wrench of course. And thanks for that tip cycleman, my kids gave me one of those for Christmas and I just simply forgot I had it.

Chuck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.