Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here we go again. I have an 88/1500 and I have tried Deloand the engine noise seems to get louder. I heard someone on here spoke about Castrol and how it make the engine noise less. Was it Castrol 4T?

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I can't help with the Castrol info but have you thought about trying 1-1/2 oz of the TC-W3 2 cycle oil to a full tank of gas? When I did that is seemed to quiet my motor noise down. I am using the Delo myself and really like the way the motor runs with it but have started adding the TC-W3 about every other tank full. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
Sorry, I can't help with the Castrol info but have you thought about trying 1-1/2 oz of the TC-W3 2 cycle oil to a full tank of gas? When I did that is seemed to quiet my motor noise down. I am using the Delo myself and really like the way the motor runs with it but have started adding the TC-W3 about every other tank full. Just a thought.
This really helps with storage too, it coats everything with a light coating of oil. I never have to clean 2 stroke carbs like goldwings carbs that have sat. I am now "pickling" my bikes for the winter this way.Add oil to the gas and empty the carbs.

along with fuel stabilizer.

Unless you LIKE to go through your carbs every year? :thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

We ride year round in Texas so there is very like storage time. I will try the 1 1/2oz in the gas.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

These days oil is of very good quality with next to no ash etc. and many different " types " included in there viscosity range.
I doubt that your engine noise is oil related .
I also have an 88 1500 with over 120000 miles and she will tick at startup . Considering that Mother Honda requires a heavy oil , i have been happy to hear only these ticks until she warms up completely.
Can you describe the sounds you hear from your motor and at what times etc.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The loudest sound is the clutch in neutral and released. Not a whole lot of valve sounds just the clutch.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I noticed that clutch noise also after I changed to Delo, though it could have been there before and I just did not notice?

Only makes the noise when in neutral and clutch released, pull in clutch and noise goes away.

My 88 1500 gas 176K now and does not tick.
Though 1 time and only 1 time, after riding in really cold rain and parking her wet for several days when I started her she clicked at the valves like she had no oil! Did it for a few seconds, till I revved her up a little.
She had been rode hard and put away wet LOL

I don't know why that happened, scared me a bit, never happened since though! Just that once!
I had maybe 1500 miles on the oil then, now have about 3,000. All is fine. Maybe the oil was not broke in yet LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.