Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I think I need to replace the water pump seals and would like a second opinion.

was doing some work and noticed oil in my radiator overflow, about a 1/4 of an inch floating on top. I drained the oil to see if it was discolored or had water in it and it was ok.

Thanks for any help I can get.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

could be a couple of sources.... first of all, check the weep hole under the engine at the water pump (and make sure it isn't pluged up... the water pump body sits right above it... for coolant to leak (out the hole) it is either the pump seal, or the O-ring, for oil to leak (out the hole) it is 1: the rear seal, 2: the O-ring or 3: the crush washers on the bolts holding the pump

for oil to get into coolant from here it would have to pass through both seals, however, warm coolant has more pressure than the oil there so it is more likely to have coolant in the oil that vice-versa

so, other places for oil in coolant O-rings at passages or even a head gasket.... what do your plugs look like?

btw, if you change the water pump, buy a new one, don't try replacing the seals IMHO

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

I'd put my money on a head gasket issue.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Roger I think I sent you a PM by mistake.

Oil is leaking out the weep hole but no coolant.
The plugs look fine.
When I said new seals I meant the gaskets and o-rings. I understand the pump is a unit and you shouldn't try to mess with it.
I'm going to order a water pump gasket kit and pull it apart and check it because it needs the o-rings and gaskets anyway.
Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

So no I havn't done the pump before and I have heard some of the screws are tuff I do have a impact so I'm sure that will help. I was planning on pulling the radiator I've done that before when I changed the timing belts.
Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.