Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I posted the other day about this bike. It was given to me and has been outside for 5+ years so i'm stripping it down and making it ridable. I pulled the carb assembly for cleaning and when I visually inspected the intake valves, Cylinder #2 had oil sitting on top of it (it's closed) and Cylinder #4 (open) seemed to be a little wet with oil. Is there some weird chance that this is normal, or am i looking at head gaskets?? The bike has 90,000+ miles on it.

Regards

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't think the head gaskets are involved. Sitting that long who knows? Most likely oil has seeped into the cylinders. Get it running and see how it does, if it doesn't burn oil and sounds normal I wouldn't worry.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Could be just the usual valve stem seals, bike laid up for ages combined with this will make oil seep into the cylinder. Run it until the smoke clears and check it then.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
Could be just the usual valve stem seals, bike laid up for ages combined with this will make oil seep into the cylinder. Run it until the smoke clears and check it then.
That's the usual cause of smoking on older Wings, I wouldn't be surprised if your is the same gundum.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

GWEddie wrote:
GWNorman wrote:
That's the usual cause of smoking on older Wings, I wouldn't be surprised if your is the same gundum.
Even low mileage models will smoke on startup as the valve seals just get brittle with age.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.