Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

On my 81 GL1100 I keep finding a light layer of oil in the coolant overflow tank. I do not find any coolant in the oil.

There is nothing leaking out of the waterpump weep hole at all.

Over approx 1000 miles the cooling systemwill loose about12 ozof coolant. There does not seem to be any leaks anywhere.

I checked the sparkplugs and they all look to be uniformly running good and there is good compression in all cylinders.

I do not see any moisture or smoke in the exhaust.

I am thinking it must bea head gasket but I cannot find any symptoms except theoil in the the coolant and the missing coolant.

If the oil was getting into the coolant through the water pump would there also be oil leaking out of the weep hole?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Peter

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

There is a seal where the water pump is connected to the drive towards the oil pump. When that seal goes bad it could allow some oil to enter the coolant. In that case usually some oil will drip out through the weep hole but that is not a must, but that doesn't explain the coolant loss. If there is no some external leaking (through the reserve tank overflow hose, damaged radiator, crossover pipes o-rings or somewhere else) thanonly 3 places where it can go: 1) out through the weep hole; 2) into the engine oil through the badwater pump/front covero-rings or blown head gasket; 3)burning out inside the cylinders, througha blown head gasket. Now, you said there is no leaking from the weep holewhich eliminates#1. If you are sure that there is noany coolantin the engine oil that eliminates #2. So,if you can make absolutely sure that there is no any external leakage of the coolant and there is no any coolant in the oil and you arestill lossing the coolant then I would suspect a blown head gasket. Make sure about one more thing: when you change the coolant when pourthe new one inradiator, you must"burp the baby" i.e.you must let the air to go out of the system. If you don't then it will result in lowering the coolant level as the air comes out.

Now, if all the mentioned is ok then I would think of a head gasket. Yes there should be a white smoke but that is not a must. Check for any bubbles inside the radiator/overflow tank while the engine is running. If you see them then a good signof a blown HG.

But, important, before thinking of the head gaskets make absolutely sure about the other possible causes thatI mentioned! Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.