Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I emptied the canister and found oil mixed with some water and/or gasoline. I have only put a few hundred miles on this bike since putting it on the road (it has 34K miles on it), so I don't know the last time this was emptied. The carbs look clean although I am getting horrible gas mileage (- see other popular thread for that story). Could this be indicative of oil getting past the rings and coming up through vacuum?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

A small amount of oil residue mixed with the wateris normal. If it hasn't been emptied in a long time it's hard to say how much got in there over time. I'd just check it again in a month and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
I emptied the canister and found oil mixed with some water and/or gasoline. I have only put a few hundred miles on this bike since putting it on the road (it has 34K miles on it), so I don't know the last time this was emptied.The carbs look clean although I am getting horrible gas mileage (- see other popular thread for that story). Could this be indicative of oil getting past the rings and coming up through vacuum?
sanfelice, that doesn't sound like oil getting past the rings as that would mean exhaust smoke not oil in the vent tank. That vent tank is hooked to the crankcase ventilator lineso I suppose a slight amount of oil in that tank could be possible (all I have ever had in mine is water though).

I would clean that tank then watch it for a few thousand miles. If the oil residue comes back make sure you aren't over-filling the oil level in the crankcase or don't have a plugged air cleaner.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

twisty wrote:
sanfelice, that doesn't sound like oil getting past the rings as that would mean exhaust smoke not oil in the vent tank. That vent tank is hooked to the crankcase ventilator lineso I suppose a slight amount of oil in that tank could be possible (all I have ever had in mine is water though).

I would clean that tank then watch it for a few thousand miles. If the oil residue comes back make sure you aren't over-filling the oil level in the crankcase or don't have a plugged air cleaner.

Twisty
thanks, Vic and Twisty and BRowan. I honestly have no idea if that canister was EVER emptied, so who's to know how many years it has been that way.

I do believe that when I changed the oil after buying the bike last year, I overfilled because the sight glass is all messed up. This time, I just measured out the oil and add a few drops for those that leak out :) (since sight glass is still cloudy)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

working backwards the canister connects to the bottom of the air filter housing... next to it is the crankcase hose which allows crankcase pressure, fumes, codensation (especially at start-up) to "blow out" of the crankcase, the fumes go back down the carbs and the moisture into the collector. It is normal for very SMALL amounts of oil to get blown out there as well. but it always should be a small amount. Honda added the collector over "pollution" issues. Didn't want that nasty water dropping on the street. So I guess we now pour it into the sewer...go figure

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.