Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i bought a used gl1100 that was apart the transmission cover was off. it looked like it needed a new waterpump so i replaced it. i think i put all the parts back in the right place. i could not find a complete diagram of where all the O rings went and other parts. I have had this apart twice now and still have an oil leak at seap hole. does anyone have a photo of where all the parts go . and or any suggestions how i fix this oil leak. it may be coming around oil seal on waterpump but not sure. i have changed that seal twice as well. i dont know the previous history of this motorcycle. it only has 19,000 miles on it. any help appreciated thanks steve

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Be sure you have the O-rings on the two large pieces of tubing that connect the water channels between the engine and front cover. If your water pump is good and it's not leaking about the only other source of leaking oil would be the large oil ring that goes around the oil pump body. Don't try to use old rings on any of these, it's not worth it. I'd also consider using a very thin wipe of Permatex #2 on the gasket, if it's been on and off a couple of times it's more possible it will leak too.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

bassplayer2008 wrote:
i bought a used gl1100 that was apart the transmission cover was off. it looked like it needed a new waterpump so i replaced it. i think i put all the parts back in the right place. i could not find a complete diagram of where all the O rings went and other parts. I have had this apart twice now and still have an oil leak at seap hole. does anyone have a photo of where all the parts go . and or any suggestions how i fix this oil leak. it may be coming around oil seal on waterpump but not sure. i have changed that seal twice as well. i dont know the previous history of this motorcycle. it only has 19,000 miles on it. any help appreciated thanks steve
To my knowledge there is only really two ways for oil to get to this location and drip out the seap hole.

1. The pump itself. Oil is getting by the seal in the water pump and then exits out the seap hole.

2. The O ring at the back of the water pump is not seated properly. There are two O rings on the water pump. The big one that goes around the whole pump body itself and keeps water from leaking out the seap hole and a smaller one that goes on the back of the pump where it mates up with the case. If you look in this location you'll see that the case is cut out slightly to allow the O ring to seat. If this one has problems oil will leak out the weap hole but not get into the water system because the big O ring on the pump keeps it out.

Problems with any of the otherO rings & gaskets would cause oil/water cross contamination but not a leak at the seap hole.

My two cents for what its worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.