Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1989 GL1500 with 95,000 miles. There has been a slow leak from the area of the shifter for a long time (years). I have replaced the seal and that reduces the leak for a while but it always comes back. The shifter has visible play up-and-down, which I assume is not normal and probably why the seal only works for a few months. How far do I have to dig into the motor to find where the problem is?

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

You might get lucky by PMg Kit Carson.
Sounds like something loose or worn inside.
Good luck.
Longboater

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Could be a worn or bent shift shaft. It can put pressure on one side of the seal causing it it leak. Just my thought.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Longboater, I don't understand "might get lucky by PMg Kit Carson". And Rocketman3104, I think you are right. What I am wondering if anyone here can tell me how far into the engine I need to dig to find out. Is there a panel or easily removed part that would allow me to see or are we talking major disassembly?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site RonBrugger! :waving::waving:

There usually is some play in the shifter shaft, I wouldn't worry about that. Just change the seal which is easy. Remove the shift lever and pry out the seal. Put some tape over the splines and sharp edges of the shaft, grease the shaft a bit and slip the new seal over the shaft. You can seat the seal with a deep socket, put one just a bit smaller in diameter onto the seal, stack a couple more on the shaft or use a piece of tubing and tap the seal into place with a mallet.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I have been replacing the seal. Each one seals well for about 5,000 miles, then for the next 10,000 miles leaks more and more until I can't stand it anymore and replace it again. I can't believe that this is normal for Goldwings.

I can certainly keep replacing the seal, but I would prefer to repair it properly. What I am asking here is if repairing it properly involves substantial engine disassembly or some other substantial cost or effort. If so, I will live with regular seal replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Ron do you have drivers floor boards fitted , these often tend to cause this problem. :waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Had floorboards and heel toes shifter on my 85 since 85 and only replaced the seal once. (215,000k)

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You might try some sealant/gasket sealer in there with the next new seal..coat the inside and outside of the seal and shaft might be more flexible and help to protect the seal from wear. They are right either bent shaft or a rough edge wearing on the seal would be my guess.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

No, I do not have floorboards. Thanks for all the advice. I think I got my answer from tricky, it is a lot of work to fix it right. I will follow RB's advice and put in a new seal with added goop.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I think that I found that my slow leak is not from the shift lever seal, but further forward. When taking off the lower cover I find caked on grime all over from the timing belt area back. How common is it for the cam oil seal to go bad? Or is there another source for oil leaking in this area?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not very common but it can happen. The crank shaft seal could leak too.If one of those areleaking you'd be sure to find oil inside the belt cover. Take a look at the under side of your water pump, there's a weep hole there that can leak too if the pump seal is going.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I am seeing accumulated caked-on road grime covering the complete bottom of the motor, apparently starting around the water pump. Assuming that is at least part of the problem, how is this weep hole leak repaired? Do I need to replace the entire water pump or just the o-ring?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd replace the water pump. It might be the seal between the pump and engine but more likely the main seal in the pump. Either water or oil can show up at the weep hole depending on what's going bad in the pump. Using coolant with silicates is a cause of premature pump failure, Prestone 50/150 Extended Life is okay as is Honda's coolant.

BTW I think they call that the weep hole because of the price of the pump. The good news is the 1500 has a much easier pump to change than the four cylinder 'Wings.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I am finally getting more done. I have a new water pump, all 3 bigger molded hoses, timing belts & adjusters and shift lever seal. The only item installed so far is the shift lever seal. My main question for the forum is - my old seal basically fell out once I had the extension rod off. The seal was loose in the case and the inner hole had enlarged. It this a sign of something more wrong, or just that the shops I had asked to replace the seals before had not?

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

spray the shifter bore/seal with carb cleaner till its sterile and dry..repeat... then use some quality sealer on the walls etc..the seal should pop in correctly and straight if done right...you can also fashion a spacer to hold it in place against the shifter

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

My 1981 Interstate has the same problem , leaking shifter seal. I was wondering, is this a difficult job to replace?
I could not find a seal offered on any of the web sites that have GL parts. I have replaced the timing belts , just received a new water pump and fuel pump I am going to replace and have been working on this bike for the better part of a year. It has a good engine with 30000 miles and the rest of the bike is in good shape just needs clear coat repainted. Has some oil leaking from valve covers so I need to replace them.
Any info about the shifter seal will be a big help, sure want to get this 1981 GL1100I back on the road in good shape.
Thanks again .
Sonny

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I already have the seal installed. It fit tightly in the case and looks to be sealing around the shaft. I did not use any type of adhesive. Are you saying I should remove it and re-install it with adhesive/sealant?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No need for any sealer if the seal fit in as it's supposed to. They are normally a dry fit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.