Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all,the other day while checking the infamous three yellow wire connector plug for signs of problems on my gl1200I,I noticed a small oil leak at the grommet/gasket where the yellow wires come out of the stator cover.Being the anal sob that I am,I hate leaks of any kind and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions that might fix this,the stator is working fine so taking it out would not be worth it,but fixin that damn leak sure would be nice. Thanks RR

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

can ya get alittle silicone around it , mite stop it , i did this to 1 of my valve cover bolts

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

If you're lucky it's leaking thru the 3 wires in the stator grommet. Pull back the cover and spray some contact cleaner or brake cleaner in the wire area right were they go into the grommet. Use some silicon sealant and goop in into that area to seal the wires. Let it set-up overnight.
Like I said... if you're lucky it'll stop the leak.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,575 Posts
imported post

The hardest part is cleaning the area up so some the RTV will stick. I did manage to get mine to slow down considerably. Another place they leak back there is the inspection cap just above the plug.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That's a hard leak to fix. The grommet is thick and usually leaks where the wires poke through. I suggest waiting until oil change time and then injecting some silicone sealant in as best you can. Sometimes it works.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

unfortunatly i deal with this at work all the time on the cat engines, oil leaks through the wire plugins very hard to fix most of the time it needs a new harness plug or harness

if the oil saturates the wires your in for trouble

contact cleaner and brake clean and a air blow gun clean clean clean i know its hard to acess
and use high temp oil resistant silicone preferably clear color you dont want a big blob of red, or black looking like crap it will stop it for awile but eventually you will need to pull it and replace the harness end or the whole thing

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

I found a Permatex product that is gas and oil resistant and it workes great on my Onan motor on my John Deere Mower.Motoseal 1

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

There are no wires going through the bulhkead

There are metal inserts molded into the bulkhead, each has a solder cup on each end. The wires solder into them from both sides. Unlikely its a leak at the wire/

Theres an O-ring around it, thats probably leaking. DO NOT try to pry it out, theres a snap ring inside.

Pull 1-2 inches of vacuum on the engine case to draw the oil vapors in, then try to clean/epoxy/seal. Itll never seal while oil is oozing out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.