Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was getting an oil leak coming from what I thought was the slave cylinder based on a previous post. I went ahead and rebuilt the slave cylinder which I thought would take care of the problem. Once I started up the bike it still was leaking oil through the groove next to the bottom bolt hole of the slave cylinder. I took out the slave cylinder to see where the oil was coming from. I saw oil dribbling out from the clutch housing. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix the leak? I was hoping not to pull the engine.

Thanks,

TJ

1984 Goldwing Aspencade

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

It sounds like someone might have over tightened the cover and cracked it. You can take the cover off (you can even remove the clutch on a 1200) without having to pull the motor. It's a little tight, but it will come off.

Take the cover off, clean it real goodand see if you can find a crack. If so try grinding it clean on the inside of the cover with some shallow grinds and apply some JP weld and let dry. The '84 uses a different gasket than the '85-'87's. If you can't get one from Honda, you can either try and reuse your, make you own out of gasket material or even just use some permatex.

When you reinstall remember not to over tighten it, it's only aluminum. It takes a very low torque number.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks for the good information. You were right and it was a little tight getting it off. Hopefully it will go back on! When I was taking it off, there was quite a bit of oil in the clutch housing (is that normal?) the gasket was shot in a couple of places. I'll clean it up and see how it looks.

Thanks,

TJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.