Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it now seems I'm going to have another project. There is oil leaking down from the rubber boot that, I think, surrounds the drive shaft. It's been doing this for some time but it seems it's getting worse. I haven't yet peeled the boot back to look in there. I have attempted to search on it though and though there are way too many threads pulled up, I found one that mentioned both a pinion seal and rear main seal. I believe it is engine oil I'm leaking and not rear drive oil, although when I went to check it 6 mos ago it was near empty. (I filled it). So how do I tell what exactly is leaking? I can pull the boot but how will I know which seal is bad? I don't know where either is located so that would be the first important information I will need. Is this a task I can handle without special tools and such? Never been in the drive line before, but then 2 weeks ago I didn't know how to do the belts either but handled that just fine. Hopefully, the new seals are still available. If it's the rear main, does the engine need to come out? Never pulled the rear wheel on this thing either...

·
Registered
211 Posts
the only thing inside the boot should be the driveshaft, the u-joint and the c-clip holding it onto the output shaft. if its leaking engine oil, thats gonna be an engine out job.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The differential was near empty, but you don't know where the leak is coming from?
If it were engine oil, I would expect the engine would be low on oil.
The drive shaft seal is leaking. Diff fluid travels up the drive line and leaks at the boot.
Remove the rear wheel, remove the differential assy, pack moly 60 in the pinion area and replace the seal on the drive shaft.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The differential was near empty, but you don't know where the leak is coming from?
If it were engine oil, I would expect the engine would be low on oil.
The drive shaft seal is leaking. Diff fluid travels up the drive line and leaks at the boot.
Remove the rear wheel, remove the differential assy, pack moly 60 in the pinion area and replace the seal on the drive shaft.
So then, the seal on the shaft is at the bottom (rear) of the boot, not at the front of the boot where it attaches to the engine? Engine is not low on oil and has never required any between fills. There is no leak at the final drive housing or around the rear wheel, it is coming out of the boot but it appears to be the front of the boot. If I pull down the boot and look toward the rear, will I see the seal?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
So then, the seal on the shaft is at the bottom (rear) of the boot, not at the front of the boot where it attaches to the engine? Engine is not low on oil and has never required any between fills. There is no leak at the final drive housing or around the rear wheel, it is coming out of the boot but it appears to be the front of the boot. If I pull down the boot and look toward the rear, will I see the seal?
The seal is on the drive shaft just forward of the final drive.

The final drive must be removed then the drive shaft to replace the seal.

As glhonda said you can also use Moly paste in the coupling to prevent the gear oil from leaking.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure what you mean by coupling? It would seem the best way is to get in there and replace the seal. I will have to learn how to remove the rear wheel and then everything else to get to this. I'm going to go check the parts fiche to familiarize myself with this. If there's more info here on this that someone knows of, include the link or way to get to it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,320 Posts
It sounds more like the output shaft seal. That would drip engine oil into the boot like you are seeing. Leaks at the final drive should show up at the final drive, unless someone sealed it with RTV or some such.
A local mechanic managed to put that rear seal in mine without removing the motor. That was a long time ago, so I don't remember if he took off the swing arm.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
checking the fiche, I can't find what I'm looking for, so if anyone knows where on the fiche to look, I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering if it isn't both ends that are leaking. I'm guessing the output shaft is same as rear main seal (engine). If this gets to removing the engine, I guess it'll leak. I hate leaks but removing the engine for that just doesn't seem worth it. Best thing for right now will be to pull the boot back and look inside.:?

·
Registered
211 Posts
wilmo, before you go tearing into anything you should first determine if it's engine oil or gear oil that's leaking.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, that is what I hope to determine by looking into the boot. I looked at it last night after I got home from work, the outside not the inside, and the leak is actually right above and slightly to the rear of the bar that is the center stand. The oil on the ground, I can't readily tell if it's engine or gear. But considering the history, I'm leaning toward gear as the engine oil always reads the same level and the final at one point was near empty. When weather improves I'll be able to look deeper. For now it leaks. It doesn't constantly drip either. Most prevalent just after riding it, stops when parked a few days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.