Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do fix this leak? Was this caused by something breaking and do I have to remove the engine to fix it. The cell in my battery was just killed. Was this caused by this? Hope not, not looking forward to engine removal. If removal is the case, is a rebuild going to be necessary? I would greatly appreciate some help with this. I can't find anything on the internet or anywhere else about this problem. Thank you so much.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
The cap which looks like the valve adjustment cap on older Honda machines is an access to the bolt holding the alternator rotor.
It has been known for the rotor bolt to come loose , back out and apply pressure to the cap. Which can them crack.
Otherwise perhaps the cap needs a new o-ring.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Is this the part you are referring to? If so, you can get a new one from many different places on line or at a dealer. Here is a picture of it from the Cyclemax site where you can get one for about $7.50 plus shipping. This is listed as the rear drive filler cap but it is the same one used in several different places on a lot of different Honda bikes and 4 wheelers. I don't know if the o-ring comes with it or not but you could ask them.
Edit: I just checked again and you can get it with or without the o-ring. With the o-ring it is $10.00.
Rear Drive Filler Cap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this the part you are referring to? If so, you can get a new one from many different places on line or at a dealer. Here is a picture of it from the Cyclemax site where you can get one for about $7.50 plus shipping. This is listed as the rear drive filler cap but it is the same one used in several different places on a lot of different Honda bikes and 4 wheelers. I don't know if the o-ring comes with it or not but you could ask them.
Rear Drive Filler Cap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes that's the one. The o-ring could have just came out because the cap will not pull out, so I'm guessing that it is just loose and needs a new o-ring. Part of could be messed up inside the case. I haven't tried to do anything to it until I found out what it did and what was possibly wrong so I didn't damage anything that would cause more problems.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The cap will not pull out! It screws in, most people think it should be about as tight as a lug nut on a 18 wheeler and crank the heck out of it putting it back. Then it breaks and leaks. Screw it in finger tight and then give it a very light push with the wrench to slightly squish the o ring.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Same as tappet caps on all sohc fours and even the little "step throughs"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do fix this leak? Was this caused by something breaking and do I have to remove the engine to fix it. The cell in my battery was just killed. Was this caused by this? Hope not, not looking forward to engine removal. If removal is the case, is a rebuild going to be necessary? I would greatly appreciate some help with this. I can't find anything on the internet or anywhere else about this problem. Thank you so much.
The bolt that holds the rotor on the alternator shaft did come loose. It will not tighten up nor can I pull the bolt out. What's next? Pull the motor and remove the rear case? Will it tighten up without having to pull the motor? If it can be tightened up without removal, I can't get it to. Maybe I just have to keep messing with it, not holding my tongue right. Will someone help me out please?

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
863 Posts
Sounds like the bolt is at least partly threaded in. Are you sure you aren't just spinning the engine when you turn the bolt? You can stop the engine from turning by putting the transmission in gear (5th gear would be best) and putting a broom handle thru the rear wheel, resting on the swingarms, or just have someone hold the rear brake.

·
Administrator
26,559 Posts
The bolt that holds the rotor on the alternator shaft did come loose. It will not tighten up nor can I pull the bolt out. What's next? Pull the motor and remove the rear case? Will it tighten up without having to pull the motor? If it can be tightened up without removal, I can't get it to. Maybe I just have to keep messing with it, not holding my tongue right. Will someone help me out please?
Does it just spin or won't turn at all? Someone had this problem once upon a time & I suggested he put it in 5th and turn the rear wheel backward, it worked.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Sounds like you have one of those situations where the bolt is stripped but it is galled and stuck in place. Won't tighten up and won't come out?????Wish I could tell you I know a trick but I don't. .

If it were me I would put an air ratchet or whatever is necessary to get in there. I would spin it loose for a long time. Then I would try to get a vice grip or whatever and try to pull it out. Might have to do this several times but maybe you will get lucky and it will come out.

After you manage to get it out carefully run a tap in there and clean out the threads and hole. If you manage to get that far find a grade 8 bolt that is able to go in to the bottom thread and be just a little too long. Fit the bolt so it is tightened and almost bottomed out but noy quite. You want the bolt to get as good hold on the damaged threads but also grab every thread that would be available below the original bolt length. In a nutshell you want to grab every thread that is in the hole but not bottom out the bolt..

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Does it just spin or won't turn at all? Someone had this problem once upon a time & I suggested he put it in 5th and turn the rear wheel backward, it worked.
Spark plugs out Dave? I bet????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts