Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1978 GL 1000 which has been laid up for 18months. It has always been oil tight, but now developed a seriousoil leak that is comming from the underside of the clutch adjuster plate through the drain hole.

Any ideas if this might be either a seal which I can easily replace or perhaps a duff scavenge pump, necessitating engine removal.

Many thanks

Bugs

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

The only way for that to leak is through the clutch lifter plate shaft. Take the cover off (the one with 2 screws holding the stamped sheet-metal cover plate) and see if it's the shaft leaking. I've never heard of one leaking and you'd think that the oil level wouldn't be this high.

Two things I'd check... 1) the crankcase ventilation system for clogs. 2) Oil level too high.

You probably already know this, but the oil level is checked with the bike on the centerstand. If it's on the side stand, one can easily overfill the oil.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Many thanks.

There definately is a "drain hole" under the adjuster.

I have just picked up another member with the same problem and the answers help a lot.

Once again many thanks.

Bugs

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the info.

As you know I am a new member and was not fully conversant with the system. I have now picked up on another members problems which are the same as mine and the answers are very useful.

Many thanks for the time taken to reply which seems to be the answer, as I now hope that I can resolve the problem without drastic action - hopefully.

Many thanks

Bugs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.