Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1984 1200 asppy and have an oil issue on the rear tire and gearbox.if i check the gearlube its at the correct leval. the rear tire and gearbox are coverd in oil if you go for an afternoon ride when you get back and park it there is a puddle of oil buy the back tire. if the rear engine to driveshaft seal is bad will it show up under the rear tire? if the seal is bad can i change it without removing the engine? and why is the gearcase still at the correct oil level and not overfilled? I thought it originaly was the shock but I am shure its got to be comming out of the gearcase but how?

:(please help me before the season starts.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Gear oil will stink more than shock oil, which doesn't really smell, that might help you decide where the leak is. Worst case is rear engine seal and you can do that with the engine in the frame, and UJ disconnected. The seal has a lip which makes it easy to remove and replace.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you peel back the swing arm boot you can check to see if there's oil leaking out of the rear shaft seal on the engine. As saucer mentioned, gear oil has a definite sulphur smell, if you smell that it's likely a seal in your final drive is leaking. If the oil is flung out on the wheel it's very likely the leak is in the seal on the wheel side. There are two oil seals on a tensioner ring that can cause leaking between the wheel and the final drive. It's not a difficult job to replace the seals. The wheel side seals can be replaced without removing the final drive from the bike, not as easily as having the unit on the bench but doable, I've done it both ways.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It doesn't take much oil to make a mess. The '82 I had that leaked made a cruddy mess out of the rear wheel and tire but you could open the filler hole on the final drive and oil would still ooze out. Half an ounce of oil won't show up as much, if any, loss in the final but will sure coat a wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.