Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

What would cause oil to leak from the hole below the lower coolant connection? Remedy? Bike is an '81 GL1100.

Thanks

Brian

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
imported post

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, you are going to need a new water pump real soon. Use an OEM pump, and only silicate-free coolant, or you'll be doing it again in a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

o ring or leaky washers or the seal but all three require the same tear down..drain radiator, trans cover which requires all new gasket set $22, pumps about $100. If you take the front elbow off you can see the i,peeler..if you can move it at all side to side or up and down your bears are going out and the oil seal might be damaged..if it's tight could be one of the other oil seal sources OR still the oil seal..

also needed new mechanical seal for the pump

Attachments

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

No matter what you are going to have to remove the cover to get to the o ring. Being that it's an 81 I would recommend going ahead and replacing the water pump and all the o rings. Like mentioned above, buy a OEM pump. After market is just setting you up for another change in a year or too. It's not a difficut procedure to do. Goldwingdocs.com has a great tutorial on how to do the change. Take your time and it will be a breeze to do.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

You guys rock. Thanks for the help. Looks like a new pump, Orings etc. is in my future.

Brian

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Brian.
Be sure to change the oil pump seal as that's where the oil is entering the water pump.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

On that waterpump I recommend Cyclemax.com, mine was$137.00 including shipping the pump itself was $123.00, however I'm in kentucky and their in Ohio so your shipping may be more, but it should still be less than the $166.00 dealer cost and that's not includingsales tax.OEM factory replacement from honda took about eight days to from time I ordered however their site says to allow about twelve to fourteen business days.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

Give westerhonda.com a look. Received my OEM pump in three days from time of order. Ordered gasket kit from amazon.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

Give westerhonda.com a look. Received my OEM pump in three days from time of order. Ordered gasket kit from amazon.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

front cover kept leaking around drain plug so changed front cover. changed waterpump while in there. that was monday. started leaking oil out of weep hole today. heartbreaking:praying:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
imported post

Hey Doc. Welcome.

You can go to the new member forum and introduce yourself if you like or, you can start a thread on your leak and see if our esteemed panel of experts and idiots canhelp guideyou on your way to a leak-free future.

Canuck, I agree with Yooper. Western Honda is the goodest.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

went back in thursday checked orings,cruch washers and applied thin coat of rtv.still leaking. must have nicked seal. just ordered new seal.This bike has been a 3 year project so far.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
went back in thursday checked orings,cruch washers and applied thin coat of rtv.still leaking. must have nicked seal. just ordered new seal.This bike has been a 3 year project so far.
My new water pump isn't here yet but you have me worried.

How bad is yours leaking? As a former brit bike owner I think I would just ignore a small leak.

Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.