Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I'm new to this board and a very happy new (to me) 1996 GL1500A owner. Figure I do my second post with a technical question.

I've got a light oil leak coming out on the underneath side of the alternator. Is this likely to be the oil seal Part #8 in the diagram below? From what I've been told, this isn't a part that I can purchase separately from the rotor core (Part #17) or starter assembly (Part #5).

Could someone confirm this and/or give me suggestions on the best way to deal with this oil leak?

Btw, thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to getting to know this mc and you all.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Is the oil actually "in" the alternator case, or dripping below the case without contaminating the inside of the alternator (neares the engine, of course) ???

The more common failure is in the #21 o-ring and would be a leak external to the alternator. (it's an 84.5mm x 4mm oring, 91320-MN5-003, about $4 USD) - remove the alternator, swap the o-ring by hand, reinstall the alternator - easy work.

It's tough to get a lot of oil to show-up at the #8 seal (it's kinda protected under the drive vane - #3 there), so most oil will fling away from the #8. If you do have a leaky #8, the inside of the alternator near the mounting face will be contaminated and wet. (31104-MN5-005 can be purchased seperately and is about $11-USD, if needed - can be changed but it's no fun).

I'd suggest having a good look at it, and/or even pulling the alternator out to flip it around on the bench a bit to see if the contamination is internal before chasing parts and borrowing headaches. Local dealer should stock that #21 o-ring if needed, and you can kinda evaluate where you are better...

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I've not taken the alternator off yet, but it sounds like that would be the place to start. All that I know now is that there is a small amount of oil on the underneath side of the alternator.

I sorta thought that the O-ring was more to keep dirt out of that area and the seal was to keep oil in.

I'll have a closer look this evening and report back.

Thank you for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

Could possibly be your shift shaft seal.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Part number 8 is the seal, and yes they can leak. Usually just a small amount of oil gets past them and doesn't usually get into the alternator.

Are you sure the leak is coming from where the alternator joins the engine? It's just that even if the seal is leaking, the oil shouldn't get past the large O ring unless that also is bad. Check the clutch slave cylinder in case it is brake fluid you are losing, and the gear shifter seal as they can leak oil which can get blown down to the back of the engine.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all the suggestions. Gonna get my hands dirty this evening for a closer look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.