Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

(Just noticed that I kinda' trashed my first attempt subject with typos)

1982 GL 1100, 75,000

I have developed an oil leak on my Gl 1100.

The source is a small hole, bottom side. It seems to be between the engine crankcase, and the (front) Oil filter and water pump.

I suspect there may be a leak from the crankcase into that bottom cover.

If so,, Do I have to remove the engine, in order to change the gasket ? (assuming it is a faulty gasket)

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

What other attempt? :cooldevil:

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Hi Larry,

Your water pump seals have gone, it is not worth messing with just fit a new pump.

You can do it without pulling the motor out of the frame.

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I had a leak in roughly the same spot, but it was coolant coming out. I replaced the waterpump and gaskets. You do not have to pull the engine to do this work, but you will have to move the radiator out of the way.

If choose to replace your water pump and haven't changed your timing belts, this would be an excellent time to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Are you sure it's not from the weep hole? If it is there, there are three possibilities..all require removing the pump housing, which means the front casing, radiator..you'll need the full front end gasket kit $25; maybe a new pump $110 or just some new o rings or crush washers..hard to say.

If it's really leaking from the gasket of the front casing, then all the same work but just a new gasket should do it

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Mine leaked there & it was a crappy "o" ring on my oil filter housing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.