Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Now that I have the trans cover off, I am trying to locate what o-ring or gasket is the cause of leaking oil.

I had what seems to be a rather common problem on my 1979 - a slow oil leak from the area of the trans cover case and the water pump. I could not identify with certainty if it was from one or the other, but I would like to replace all possible offenders with new materials.

I have read the Classic Wing article but I am still not clear on what I need to replace to cure the leak.

thanks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
Now that I have the trans cover off, I am trying to locate what o-ring or gasket is the cause of leaking oil.

I had what seems to be a rather common problem on my 1979 - a slow oil leak from the area of the trans cover case and the water pump. I could not identify with certainty if it was from one or the other, but I would like to replace all possible offenders with new materials.

I have read the Classic Wing article but I am still not clear on what I need to replace to cure the leak.

thanks.
You're sure it's not coming from the water pump weep hole?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Paul has a good point. If nothing had been disturbed already, the pump seal is the most likely culprit. BTW, did you manage to get the broken bolt out of the engine?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes! I got out that broken bolt. I had one of those "pheww!" moments when it happened. I felt so happy I actually called my wife ;)to let her know. How silly is that? (she knows about my past week struggling with a strategy for removal).

So, yes, it could very well be the water pump weep hole. What is the offending gasket in that instance?

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

It's a seal (big O ring) rather than a gasket and it sits around the water pump body where it slots into the block. I think if the actual inner pump seal fails you just get a coolant leak.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
Yes! I got out that broken bolt. I had one of those "pheww!" moments when it happened. I felt so happy I actually called my wife ;)to let her know. How silly is that? (she knows about my past week struggling with a strategy for removal).
Not silly at all, I've felt like having a party sometimes when I get by a nasty little problem like that!

:clapper::clapper::15red::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Worth looking at the pump itself. Mine was just starting to grind it's way out of the casing and the rear seals had failed (where it engaged with it's drive).

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

would recommend changin ALL the o-rings and DO NOT get aftermarket ones.. and might as well change the water pump while there

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Yeah, my pump has apparently been replaced a short time ago (along with the timing belts which look quite good).

The original reason for doing this was to change the pump because of an overheating problem, but I have to look elsewhere for that now. onceI got inside, I saw a new waterpump!

But I went ahead with the trans cover to try and solve the oil leak issue. Again, it's a very slow leak, so I do not know what to expect, but changing the gaskets, o-rings and any other seal is on the docket!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

if it is over heating it may be the thermostat... I doubt that many of us have changed them when we change the waterpump... I am not even sure where it is without looking in the manual

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

GWNorman:

thanks for that tip. so, if I understand you correctly, when I am getting oil in a slow leak fashion, it might be the O-ring that surrounds the water pump as that is what is preventing oil from coming into the coolant area? (starting to get confused as to which liquids occupy which spaces in that area)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the water pump has two o rings .... one to stop leakage of coolant, the other of oil. However there are several OTHER o-rings when you replace the cover and these may be the culprits as well... and even the gasket...

on my '78 wing, I have jst decided to put up with a small leak

come to think of it, my harley does NOT leak... hmmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
the water pump has two o rings .... one to stop leakage of coolant, the other of oil. However there are several OTHER o-rings when you replace the cover and these may be the culprits as well... and even the gasket...

on my '78 wing, I have jst decided to put up with a small leak

come to think of it, my harley does NOT leak... hmmmmmmm
Yes, better to replace the lot of them. A bottom end gasket set has them all included.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I had a small but slowly increasing oil leak coming from my water weep hole on my 83 :11grey:. I bought a water pump gasket and "O" ring kit from the Honda dealer for about $17.00. Took it all apart and replaced all the "O" rings and gaskets. Hasn't leaked a drop in the 10,000 miles since.

Bob

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

this is exactly my problem, Bob. I ordered the K&L kit and a new trans cover gasket last week. I plan on replacing all of the o-rings I can along with the main gasket, of course. I hope to see the same results as you.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

put some vasoline on the rings before you slide in the water pump so they do not catch and tear.... been there... done that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.