Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike came with the aftermarket dipstick(JCW I believe), I've been checking it without screwing it in.

Is this Correct??????

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Old T, when I first read your quote, ILMAO....
You'll have to drain your oil and put in exact amount book calls for and see where that is on your stick. Then maybe a 1/2 pint for filter. :)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

It would read that way as long as the person that installed it read the instructions for how to mark and read it. I filled mine bike after a filter and oil change by the site glass to the low mark, ran it to fill the filter and filled to the low mark again, pulled the stick, wiped it off, put it back in, pulled it, marked my low mark with a 3-point file then topped it to the full mark and did the top mark for full.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean, I think in the case of yours, once I knew it was correct, I would just make a mark where the correct level is without threading it in ;)

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys. The po had it installed. It has 2 marks on it, I just fill it up to the top mark without screwing it in go from there. Wasn't really sure I'd been doing it correctly. I have a heck of a time seeing the sight glass. The old fella wasn't much help on the history. I just finished changing the fluids and belts and trying to get it ready for the warm weather. JR

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

instructions on a whitney dip stick conversion state that level should be read not screwed in, just on top of the threads. this will be accurate only if the marks have been placed correctly on the stick. I am pleased with my whitney conversion-no leaking problems after oil change etc

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

I think mine said not to screw it in.fill with right amount of oil check and mark it with a file then go 1 inch mark it for low level.mine works great no leaks...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.